Sunset, Africa style

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Mike-PDX

Here are a few of my favorite sunset photos from my recent trip to Africa. C&C is welcome and encouraged! :)

8053373728_714263737c_o.jpg

Africa Sunset - 2 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

8164872017_7d72115888_o.jpg

Africa Sunset - 4 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

Which of these two crops do you prefer?

8120115306_8e2cbb7511_o.jpg

Africa Sunset - 1 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr
8164872623_4e47e46963_o.jpg

Africa Sunset - 3 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

I think the horizontal crop is more effective. If you can spare a bit more room at the bottom--and possibly to the left, if you haven't cut off the tree branches and if there's no other distraction there--that would make it even better.

Max

Going with the horizontal as well. Beautiful colors and more content without looking cluttered! Nice capture!

Thanks! - another try

Thanks for all the good feedback. I appreciate it! Well it looks like the concensus was that the vertical crop didn't work. So I went back to the drawing board and looked again at the original. Here is a horizontal version that may work better. What do you think? As far as the fringing goes, I may have over sharpened a bit, but if it's still visible in this version, I don't know how to get rid of it.
8167652380_3d3485b410_o.jpg

Africa Sunset-8 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

And while I'm at it, here is one more:
8053368066_ef808b9eba_o.jpg

Africa Sunset - 7 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr

I like the horizontal as well. That last one is pretty amazing. Was it smoky or dusty to bring out the color?

Paul in Hillsboro

There always seemed to be dust in the air where we were in Africa. It always had an impact on the sunset. Things might be different in the rainy season, though.

Last edited:
They're all really nice! Like most folks, I think #2 looks real good.

I also agree on the re-crop. That was the one thing I didn't really like, that a small part of the branches were missing. Yeah, I know, it's OK to do that sometimes, but in this case I think the whole tree really makes a nice statement.

Also, I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the vertical format. If you were to do another one, with all of the branches shown, and print it on metal or metallic paper, I'll bet it would totally rock.

Last edited:
A Big Thank You for all the comments!

I really appreciate the constructive feedback here on this forum.

Now if I could only get the gallery upload to work... :):eek::)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back