Sunsets of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Monday 2/3/14 from Marina Beach. The wind was blowing hard off the Sound and my exposed right hand got painfully cold.

7D + 2.8/17-35L wide angle zoom
01.JPG

I liked the shadows of the foot prints on the sand. I shot at -1 exposure compensation to darken the sunlight reflecting off the sand. Look closely and you will see an eagle on the piling on the left side of the photo.
02.JPG

The eagle took off and started a chain of events which can be viewed hee:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?9860-Eagle-Action-2-3-14

Swinging a little to the right to include the marina and driftwood.
03.JPG

Terry: It may have been a good opportunity to use that landscape photo technique you learned at last year's Kemore Camera's Photo Expo.

Last edited:
Friday (3/7/14) had a little bit of a sunset which created some artsy/surreal/ethereal looks across Puget Sound.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Nice job of capturing those surreal images, Bill :) I like the first image the best....cool!

I felt I needed a break from sunset photos as they were all starting to look alike. I dropped by Sunset Ave. Wednesday (6/4/14) while my son was at tennis lessons. The sun has cleared the Olympics and is setting almost directly west across the Sound.

Taken with the 5DIII + 100-400L zoom. I could not use the camera's HDR feature as I was shooting handheld, so I underexposed the shots to bring out the sun.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
My aunt and uncle invited us to their house for dinner Tuesday (6/24/14) night. They live in the Emerald Hills area of Edmonds and have a beautiful view of Puget Sound from their deck.

After dinner I took some sunset shots. The sun has been setting at 9:12pm PDT, the latest and farthest north it will set for the year. Soon it will begin its annual journey south and the days will start getting shorter.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Three degrees of the 5DIII's HDR mode.
Natural
03.JPG

Imaginative
04.JPG

Full 60's LSD psychedelic acid trip
05.JPG

Last edited:
Nice, Bill - I thought there should be a good sunset last evening! The 'Natural' HDR looked best to me....

The first sunset of July from Sunset Ave. For a different perspective, I opted for wide angle shots taken with the 5DIII in HDR mode + 17-35L wide angle zoom.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday night (7/3) from the fishing pier. I left the 7D + wide angle zooms in the car and only had the 5DIII + 100-400L + 1.4 teleconverter with me, which limited many of my shots.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

A different view of Tuesday evening's (7/8/14) sunset from the #1 viewing platform of the Edmonds marsh.

01.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

02.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Sunday (7/13/14) the humidity was high for the Puget Sound region. Clouds forming on the west side of the Sound caused me to go to Marina Park to look for a pretty sunset after I finished photographing the geese at the marsh.
01.JPG

Storm clouds moved in just as the sun was setting. There was rain in the west by Kingston.
02.JPG

and a rainbow in the east behind the Pt. Edwards condos.
03.JPG

Only a few drops of rain touched down in Edmonds.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I experimented with time exposures and got my first photos of lightning, which is infrequent in this area. The lights in the lower right corner are the Edmonds-Kingston ferry docked in Kingston.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:
It has been a while since I photographed a sunset from Sunset Ave. and Monday's (8/11/14) was shaping up to be a beautiful one. I had about an hour to kill while my son was at tennis class, so I went down and took some photos.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

With the promise of a beautiful sunset Tuesday night (8/19/14), all the parking spots along Sunset Ave. were taken by the time I arrived. I went to my backup location, Ocean Ave.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back