The Gorge trip

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

ddietiker

Spent over an hour standing in the cold river waiting for the light I liked. I'm not sure this will be my final image from the short trip, but it is the first I PP from this location.

Landscape photography requires lots of patience and perseverance. And warm boots to put on afterwards :)

D3x, 70-300 @70mm f16 1.3 sec

original.jpg

Last edited:
I keep forgetting you have to stand in the stream to get that shot, and I also recall it's a pretty long hike to get there as well, right?

brrr ... beautiful shot
not sure I'd have the patience to shoot landscape :)

Landscape shooters rarely fill a memory card. You really only get two times a day and have to spend a long time working on getting 1 or 2 shots. It really helps if you like just looking at beautiful scenery, that helps pass the time for me.

Very nice. Maybe a good pair of waders might help.

Thanks Judy, waders would be a bit heavy and wouldn't fit into my pack very well. Great idea for shots closer to get to.

I keep forgetting you have to stand in the stream to get that shot, and I also recall it's a pretty long hike to get there as well, right?

The hike isn't bad, a hair under 2 miles. But if trails built into sheer rock face cliffs isn't your thing, it can be a bit scary to get there.

Last edited:
Great shot, your early rising and perseverance has paid off.

Curious what time you shot this. If I estimate a bit...on the trail at 5 am, the hike in about 2.5 miles, half mile side trip down the canyon to the creek bed, stand in the creek for an hour... I'm guessing about 7 am. Of course this is assuming you camped near the highway trailhead.

Hip waders do sound like a good idea, but adds seven or eight pounds to the pack.

Great shot, your early rising and perseverance has paid off.

Curious what time you shot this. If I estimate a bit...on the trail at 5 am, the hike in about 2.5 miles, half mile side trip down the canyon to the creek bed, stand in the creek for an hour... I'm guessing about 7 am. Of course this is assuming you camped near the highway trailhead.

Hip waders do sound like a good idea, but adds seven or eight pounds to the pack.

It was right around 8 AM. I think I actually spent well over an hour in water over the time I was there. When I first got there the light was really flat, so as it turns out, I could have slept an additional hour :rolleyes:

I've waded through and stood in those creeks, never that long. Bone chilling cold, made my joints ache. But, that was in August!!!

I'm sure I would have waited on the bank.

I've waded through and stood in those creeks, never that long. Bone chilling cold, made my joints ache. But, that was in August!!!

I'm sure I would have waited on the bank.

Unfortunatley, you cant see the waterfall from the bank, you have to stand in the water if you want to catch the light just right.

I'm with you though, the bank would have been the best spot normally :D

Exquisite!

Spent over an hour standing in the cold river waiting for the light I liked.

I could do all that - hike 2 miles before dawn, stand in the frigid water for an hour, etc., and still not come away with anything as fine as this!

Well done! Thanks for posting it.

I haven't been there in many, many years; and will no more due to physical handicap. Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I had forgotten how beautiful it is.

I'm the guy BBQ'ing in the middle of winter with snow outside wearing shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt :D

Stocking foot waders don't weight nearly so much and work quite well with a pair of light hikers to cover the soles.

The beauty of this activity is that you can get away with the really cheap ones, as you aren't using them all day for many days, as you would if seriously fishing in them.

Pops

I'm the guy BBQ'ing in the middle of winter with snow outside wearing shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt :D

Great capture! You sound like me. We usually have a beach party theme for my Birthday in January in the Snow of Flagstaff, AZ

That really is a great shot, I like how the falls reflect in the water too! Hmm... maybe I'll go try to get one this weekend!

hike 2 miles before dawn, stand in the frigid water for an hour, etc.,

Or maybe not... :)

That really is a great shot, I like how the falls reflect in the water too! Hmm... maybe I'll go try to get one this weekend!

Or maybe not... :)

Think of standing in cold water this way....

If you want to get rid of a couple extra pounds. It is great for weight loss, think of how many calories you are burning off to stay warm :D

Think of standing in cold water this way....

If you want to get rid of a couple extra pounds. It is great for weight loss, think of how many calories you are burning off to stay warm :D

I've never seen hypothermia promoted as a weight loss method before! :rolleyes:

Brrr. Almost all of the best Gorge waterfalls are shot by those who suffer the cold of the water. Thanks for enduring and sharing for those of us who don't get up that early or go wading. :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back