Veterans Park Buckley, WA

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I hadn't noticed this memorial before. It looked like they were working on it last night, but I can't tell if it's new, or if it's been there and they were cleaning it up and re-painting it. Looking at the photo, I think they may have been touching it up, but in any case, it's in good condition.

Looks like you could get some interesting shots in the right light. This is a quick grab shot, as it was too dark to really do much by the time I got there. But it shows both the potential and the drawbacks (buildings in the middle background).

View attachment 2814

Located in "downtown" Buckley, just follow Highway 410, you'll find it.

Last edited:
Nice. The problem is the same one I have with the sculpture down at the library. Only one angle to eliminate junk background. If only I could convince them to move Rite-Aid for an hour. :D

Pops

Bob, can't you stand on the roof of your SUV?
or pack a large ladder
or get on the roof of a building?

Bob, can't you stand on the roof of your SUV?
or pack a large ladder
or get on the roof of a building?

Picturing a large dent in the roof of my car. :eek:

Going up won't help either, then you get the top of the totem running into the power lines. Also, I think that if you go taller, that would actually move the base of the totem lower relative to the buildings. I backed up and got the best shot I could, which isn't saying too much.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't other shots here, you've just got to find them. Also, if you're not worried about getting the mountain in the frame, that frees things up a bit too. But for the shot I posted above, things are hemmed in pretty tightly.

View attachment 2830

Last edited:
That Memorial was just put up in the last year. They just finished it recently. We drove by there quite alot and watched it grow. I should go by there again and try my hand at it again.

What a great memorial totem. You have to get lower to remove the buildings but then you lose the Mountain. Too bad.

Janice,

Sometimes you just can't get the shot you have in mind, at least not without resorting to "Photoshop Phakery". This could be one of those situations. Every idea I come up with has a flaw.

"Come back at night, maybe the light the totem, and the apartments will fade into the dark..." but they don't light Mt Rainer at night... D'oh!

"Go lower, get more sky!" and less mountain...

"Go in tight" But then you lose the "Veterans" lettering, which I feel is very important to the image...

Even so, this last one may well be the best solution I can find.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back