visit to a volcano

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
took my daughter to Mt. St. Helens yesterday... she'd never been, and was interested in seeing it. i've been numerous times, of course, but it was still fun to experience the novelty of seeing it in person through her eyes. of course, i had to snap a couple of shots while we were there. not enough snow on the mountain, and there was no sunset worth shooting, but these aren't too bad for mid-afternoon light... 5D, 24-135, various settings.

IMG_6900sm.jpg

IMG_6907sm_filtered.jpg

Even without the snow or sunset, still excellent shots. It's amazing how this angle seems to stay the same year after year.

Mike

It's amazing how this angle seems to stay the same year after year.
Mike

yeah, there's a limited number of possibilities from Johnston Ridge. One of these days, i'll make a trip up the other side to Windy Ridge, but i'll have to do it early... in afternoon, from there, you're shooting right into the sun...

Here's a few I took a couple years ago. These were shot from a small turnout along the road to Johnston Ridge. The wind was so bad up there that getting a clear shot inside the crater was impossible. All that dust you see coming out of the crater is volcanic ash. The lighting that day was pretty good but the wind just made things miserable.

Great Shots, I've never been up to Mt. St. Helens yet, however my oldest daughter Jess has been up twice both times when in High School for a Photography field trips.
It's defiantly on my "to go" list for this year.

Even without the snow or sunset, still excellent shots. It's amazing how this angle seems to stay the same year after year.

Mike

Rocky, I don't think Mike meant that as a criticism of the limited angles available from that location so much as a comment on how that area doesn't seem to have changed. Much of the volcanic monument or whatever they call it is changing, as your other photos show. Grass is growing, trees have sprouted, animals are back. It's starting to return to nature. It won't be long until it looks a lot like any other national forest.

But the Johnston Ridge seems to be resisting that, and still has the look and feel of a volcano, at least for the most part. (Crumb begging chipmunks aside...)

Yep, Bob, that's what I meant. It seems while other parts around the mountain have been recovering very well over the years, from this angle it seems to be almost as desolate and bare as it has since the mountain blew. I didn't mean that Rocky seems to take the picture from the same angle year after year. But now that you mention it... :D

Mike

yeah, the Johnston Ridge area seems to be having a hard time recovering. then again, since it bore the brunt of the eruption's damage, there was more heat, and more ash (and more acid) in the soil for a longer period of time, which is probably making it harder for life to return. i haven't been up to the Windy Ridge side for several years... maybe next time i'll have a look from that side...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back