Washington Orcas by Wylund

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Thats very nice airbrush work, Id like to see a capture of the entire wall to show its location too

Twick, that is nice work and I would hate to see that just fade away forgotten. Who 'owns' the mural? Is it on a city building or private business? If the city, maybe they could work something out with a local college art department?

How would you repair it? It's obviously done by airbrush, and unless you can have the original artist come and re-paint it, I don't see any reasonable way to restore it?

How would you repair it? It's obviously done by airbrush, and unless you can have the original artist come and re-paint it, I don't see any reasonable way to restore it?

It would be tough to restore but you could seal it in a UV protective clear coat, save it the way it is

I worked in a Custom Shop that did airbrush. You would be surprised at how perfectly the artists copied other work. I imagine going over it would be even easier...if it came down to either losing the art or recreating it that is.

I did some checking on the internet. Wyland has done about a hundred of these "Whaling Wall" murals all over the world. Three in Seattle, one each in Vancover BC and Portland OR. Some are extinct, some repaired, restored, moved and a few repainted by Wyland. One is intact but covered by a billboard, another was repainted and then done in tile.
I don't know how much control Wyland himself has over the work once completed or who owns the building it is on. It just seems like something could be done to freshen it up.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back