went to the botanical garden today...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
one of those warm days where the sun is quite filtered through high, thin overcast, so it was bright, but without distinct shadows most of the afternoon - perfect for flower photos! :) shot these with the 5D2 and 100-400L...

ever seen a plant with silver blooms? me neither! 1/1000 @ f/8, 250mm...

IMG_0382sm.jpg

no idea what these are, but i love the color! 1/640, f/13, 400mm...

IMG_0447sm.jpg

just a close-up - from about 10 feet away! - of the leaf of some sort of utterly prehistoric-looking plant... 1/320, f/8, 360mm...

IMG_0437sm.jpg

Ooh, very nice!

Flower photography is much harder than it looks if you want something more than a simple "snapshot". Most folks don't realize that until they give a try. I mean how hard can it be? It's not like you have to sneak up on a daisy, trying not to spook it....

Trust me, there are still challenges. Depth of field is critical, lighting is critical and getting the subject crisp is critical. The term "shake like a leaf!" has an honest origin, and so setting up your tripod and getting a long exposure often means a blurred subject.

That leaf shot you see above? That's really well done, tack sharp, great light, excellent colors. Great stuff!

The middle ones are "Pinks" and are the same family as carnations. The color can be the same as any natural carnation but they can be dyed just like the florist colors of carnations.

The "silver plant" is an allium and they come in any color of spray paint.

The pink ones are dianthus, aka pinks.

The prehistoric one could be gunnera, aka dinosaur food.

Definitely a nice day for photos.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back