What is this

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

landscapes&birds

I found this bird while kayaking near Lake Washington this evening. Any ideas what it might be?

20150706-IMG_4625_export-2.jpg

I found this bird while kayaking near Lake Washington this evening. Any ideas what it might be?

looks a lot like a Wilson's snipe. those usually have three brighter bands down the back, but it's hard to tell from this angle. where did you see it?

Last edited:
Thanks Rocky. It was also suggested that this could be a long-billed dowitcher, which was my first thought until I looked at my field guide... :confused:
I saw it near the mouth of the slough connecting Lake Washington to the Sammamish river. Here's another photo of it.
20150706-IMG_4623_export.jpg

My vote is for a dowitcher. Not "stripey" enough for a Wilson's snipe. Hard for me to tell if it is a short-billed or a long-billed dowitcher.

i'm certainly no expert... i agree, it's not really "stripey" enough for a snipe, but there's a good deal of variation. could certainly be a long-billed dowitcher, though... it's about the time of year they start migrating back south again.

i'm certainly no expert... i agree, it's not really "stripey" enough for a snipe, but there's a good deal of variation. could certainly be a long-billed dowitcher, though... it's about the time of year they start migrating back south again.

The "fall" migration has indeed started. Monday I saw a flock of sandpipers and a yellowlegs at the Edmonds marsh.

Looks like it's a dowitcher, thanks for helping me figure out what this was! :) I'll keep watching for them then, since it sounds like migration has started already. When does fall migration typically start?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back