Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

While I was at the #2 platform, a friend of mine asked me to look at a photo she had just taken with her Powershot camera of a bird below the #1 platform. I was shocked to see two very good photos of a snipe. I immediately went out to the #1 platform, but this was all I could manage in the fading light. :mad:

10.JPG

11.JPG

A flock of geese flew over and landed on the Unocal grounds as the sun was beginning to set.

12.JPG

Monday (1/26/15) Terry and I went to the Willow Creek fish hatchery after lunch. I got a shot of my nemesis bird, the ruby-crowned kinglet, making a rare appearance out in the open on a tree by the creek.

01.JPG

McInroe, the male Anna's hummer who guards the #3 viewing platform at the marsh, has been perching on a branch which provides opportunities for artsy back-lit shots in the late afternoon.

02.JPG

03.JPG

I was at the #1 platform near sunset when something on the Unocal grounds disturbed flocks of killdeer, ducks, and geese which had been bedding down in the area for the night. I was hoping it was the resident coyote, but it turned out to be two people walking on the grounds.

04.JPG

05.JPG

Shots from Thursday afternoon (1/29) on the waterfront.

Hooded merganser.
01.JPG

Male goldeneye.
02.JPG

Common murre.
03.JPG

Female goldeneye.
04.JPG

Wesley the hummer was putting on a good show by the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.

Hunting for gnats.
01.JPG

On patrol.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

This photo reminds me of that jazz standard, How High the Moon.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday (2/4) I spotted some black scoters which had joined the harlequin ducks in the water below Sunset Ave.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Photography has not been easy with our past several days of rain. Thursday (2/5) I caught a male kingfisher at the marina. That was a little unusual as I usually see the female there.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Some more birds from Thursday.

Double-crested cormorant flying past the fishing pier.
01.JPG

Wesley at the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.
02.JPG

Yellow-rumped warbler by the walkway near the #3 viewing platform.
03.JPG

Bewick's wren below the #3 viewing platform.
04.JPG

The herons return to the marsh when it fills up after a rain.
05.JPG

Last edited:
I knew there would be high water at the marsh on Friday (2/6) after a day of rain. The herons had returned and were resting at their usual spot not far off the boardwalk.

01.JPG

02.JPG

A bird of a different kind flew over the marsh.

03.JPG

This scared the herons and ducks.

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The herons landed on the far south side of the marsh by Willow Creek.

06.JPG

07.JPG

The herons eventually returned to their former spot.

08.JPG

09.JPG

I walked out to the #1 viewing platform, where I scared two snipes which had sought the high ground below the platform. I got two Sasquatch shots of one of the snipes landing.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The snipe sneaked into the bullrushes. I was surprised at how thin the snipe looked as it walked.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Going...
06.JPG

Going...
07.JPG

Gone...
08.JPG

This is where the snip landed. It landed in the green area and disappeared into the brown area.
09.JPG

the wet weather didn't seem to bother the birds much... Wesley sure looked colorful! gorgeous shot of him!

Considering the conditions, Good shots, Bill! Nice to see the Yellow Rump. And also the male Kingfisher. Wonder if he is 'her' significant other?

High water in the marsh can affect the behavior of some of the birds. I went down to the marsh Saturday (2/7) to see check the water level and look for birds.

Two coots were in the marsh. Although it is a common species in the area, I seldom see any at the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The herons hang out at the marina when the marsh is a large mud flat and return when the marsh fills up after a rain. One heron was unusually close to the #2 viewing platform and boardwalk.
03.JPG

04.JPG

I have a photo policy of shoot first and ask questions later. Many times this works out for the better. I thought this was just another song sparrow when I photographed it in rather poor light. Examination of the photo on my computer showed it to be a fox sparrow.
05.JPG

One heron was unusually close to the #2 viewing platform and boardwalk.
Marsh Punk Spike.

I think you're onto something, Bill.

I thought this was just another song sparrow when I photographed it in rather poor light. Examination of the photo on my computer showed it to be a fox sparrow.
Nice find!

Chad

Last edited:
Monday (2/9) after lunch Terry and I went to the marsh where we saw what appeared at first glance to be a swimming killdeer. It was in fact wading in water that came up to its body.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back