Willamette Valley Morels

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Nice shots...Love the lighting on the first one...hope you picked 'em and sold them for a nice price.

Thanks, Christena.

These ones ended up in my belly. I made a nice little pasta of Linguini and Morels Beschemel when I got home last night.

Off to find some more real soon :)

Thanks for the comment :)

Such beautiful mushrooms . . . I've never eaten a morel. Is that immorel?

lol. haha. Morel mushrooms = MUCH AWESOMENESS in the pan. Super tasty... you should try some. And I agree, they are VERY beautiful mushrooms.

I'm always for choosing the right wine for the dish

(slurping noise that Hannibal Lecter makes after said line) ;)

I saw these photos on the cascade myco forum. Great shots. I haven't picked morels since I was like 13 and didn't eat them we were picking commercially. I think I may get out and see If I can find some around the cottonwoods here in the valley this year.

Haha! I can't escape! Lol ;) I've been a member over at CMS for years. That's my home!

This should be a great year for M. esculenta in the Cottonwoods. More specifically, though, look for dead or dying cottonwoods, and fruit trees in the same riparian habitat.

Happy huntin to ya, Woden :)

Have you ever tried picking out near Mt Pisgah near the river? I don't frequent CMS but I go by shroomnewbie there. Thanks for the tips about the mushrooms.

Have you ever tried picking out near Mt Pisgah near the river? I don't frequent CMS but I go by shroomnewbie there. Thanks for the tips about the mushrooms.

I live just over the hill from Pisgah and have perused it's lowlands for morels many times, to no avail. But, it's not about where morels have fruited in the past. They are not an "annual" crop. Put yourself in the right type of habitat, and on any given year it might explode with Morchella. This is especially true with M. esculenta. I have walked the same area for years, never seen anything, and then one year you can't not step on 'em. The same is true vice versa, as well.

We have weird habitat down here, though, Woden. Our soil ph and mineral content is not fantastic for esculenta. As you head further north, toward PDX, it gets a lot better. The Columbia River Gorge is the epicenter for this mushroom, here in Oregon.

Try heading out River Road, though. There is a ton of great access via parks, boat ramps, etc... There is a ton of great Cottonwood habitat out there, as well. Look for those dead or dying trees long enough, and you'll find 'em :)

Silly Christena. I keep my fava beans in the fridge... right next to a nice Chianti

:D LOL!! Funny!!!!

Beautiful shots...great color.

It still surprises me how many people up here find and are brave enough to eat mushrooms up here. Even if it looked like a photo in a guidebook, I think I would still be too afraid to try one.

Leia- I'm glad someone got the joke :)

So, just as you don't bat an eye at picking a blackberry for the table, I don't bat an eye at picking a morel or a porcino. There are lots of berries and mushrooms in the woods that can make you sick, but once you learn how to identify them, you're set. Since many folks don't learn how to identify edible mushrooms from their parents, I suggest that they take a class, or attend meetings with a local myco club, or attend forays, etc...

Ill use the blackberry analogy again. Although there are a ton of edible berries which are tough to id, some, like blackberries, are very easy to id. The same is true with wild mushrooms.

It's good to have a healthy fear about harvesting wild food that we have never harvested before. That being said, ANY reasonably smart adult can learn how to forage safely. It's not rocket science :)

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back