Winter Hummers from this afternoon

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BrianH

I like winter the hummingbirds are a tad slower and more docile. I was able to approach with in about 15 ft.

Used flash hence the bright blue water drop on the birds head

11DSC01123.gif

1DSC01128.gif

Nicely done. Almost makes me want to bring out my feeder. I know there must be a few around since there are so many apartments that had fed them this year.

Incredible shots.

Nice shots. Heck, I didn't know that the hummingbirds spent the winter here. We had to take ours down in September when the bees took it over.

Thanks all!

We have at least 10 around the resort. They leave for a few weeks then come back. We take our feeders down for about a month or so. We also pump up the mix to 5 cups of sugar per gallon our anti freeze winter mix

The lens I use is the Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 (Bigma) the shots where taken at 280mm and 500mm

Nice hummer shots. The flash really brought out the irridescence of their feathers.

The Anna's hummingbirds are the ones that will winter over around here. They've been expanding their winter range north for quite a while now. They get most of their food by eating insects and the nectar we leave out in feeders is only a small part of their winter iet. Supposedly they will land on the bark of fir trees to pick insects out of the crevices.

according to the bird guides anna's is not supposed to as far out as I am on the Peninsula. They are here year around

another
11.gif

Last edited:
Ooooh! I love that last one...the first one shows some pretty good detail in his puffy feathers. Lovely!

I felt so bad for my hummers, they kept coming to the feeder and their food was frozen. I kept meaning to bring it in and make more, but the days got away from me.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back