Yearling thoroughbreds, an old fart and a first ride

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

DWHonan

Saturday's choice: A triple-header steam excursion on the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad, or a relaxing afternoon with my girlfriend? Companionship won out over a two-hour jaunt down south...

The racing stables in the valley have a trio of yearlings who have quite literally been growing up before our eyes; the difference in their size from just a few months ago is quite startling. Meet...

Rules:

5752781571_90033b5740_o.jpg

Bluff:

5753326326_6f04be158b_o.jpg

...and Morey:

5753326040_0f87a9c8f7_o.jpg

Those three shots were all hand-held with my non-IS 300mm f/4L; honestly, I'm impressed by their crispness because I've always had trouble holding that lens steady due to its mass. Clearly, the trick is shooting moving objects at fast shutter speeds!

From my tripod with the 1.4x extender attached, we see old, retired Wicker grazing amongst a sea of buttercups; given the bounty available underfoot, the stable owner has decided not to waste hay at his meal times.

5752781795_96c341cc81_o.jpg

Cortney's baby Arabian, Amira, recently celebrated her third birthday, which means it's time for riding lessons. After weeks of patiently working with Amira on listening to commands, standing still and becoming accustomed to weight on her back, Cortney got on for the first time...

5753327316_2ccc1c4dea_o.jpg

...which didn't last very long:

5753327062_b24260193b_o.jpg

However, the next day's results were much better; Cortney learned from my photos that she had done a couple things improperly, so she made a gentler effort to get on and, after a few minutes of wobbling about figuring out how to support the additional weight, Amira was successful:

5752780435_c43e811107_o.jpg

Although these last few photos likely hold little meaning for those who don't know Cortney, I am personally thrilled to have been on hand to document what was for her such an exciting moment. Or, as she put it: "It's nice to have my own personal photographer."

Great shots Dave, and they really tell a neat story. I especially like the colors in the first one!

Saturday's choice: A triple-header steam excursion on the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad, or a relaxing afternoon with my girlfriend?

For future reference, Jill (who happens to be a girl, as the name would imply) would be happy to sell tickets to you and your girlfriend. So you didn't actually have to choose between the two.

Thanks, Janice and Bob!

Cortney wants to do the initial breaking-in period bareback to build trust with Amira and have her become accustomed to the physical commands Cortney transmits; unfortunately, that philosophy didn't work so well today as Amira attempted to buck Cortney off a few times, so tomorrow the lessons continue with a saddle.

Bob, we'll definitely consider a ride on the MRSR in the future; it just happened that Cortney had mid-day plans for Saturday that precluded our being able to head down south together, leading to the choice I had to make... In the end, I have zero regrets -- I'm very pleased with how the yearling photos turned out.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back