Zachary

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is my ol' gray tomcat Zachary. he's 11, and has been partially disabled since he was about 2... he suffered some sort of injury to his hip or his lower back or something (my ex-wife owned him at the time, and she never took him in to find out what was wrong), and his hindquarters have atrophied to about half the size of a normal cat's. even at that, he weighs 17 lbs - he's a big boy. but he's a total pushover, and just loves attention. and he gets plenty of that! ;)

IMG_4979sm_zpsb961c07e.jpg

I love cats. Zach strikes a very dignified pose, probably to remind you that he was worshiped by the ancient Egyptians.

what a beautiful gray kitty... does he have to drag his back legs?

oh no, he gets around just fine. it does impair his jumping a bit, and it's very obvious to look at him that his haunches are very gaunt and atrophied, but he has no problem walking, or even running when he wants/needs to.

What a great photo! Much better than the typical Internet cat photo...

How is old Zach doing these days?

unfortunately, i had to have him put down last October... he got a blood clot lodged somewhere in his hindquarters, and couldn't walk. it was very sudden... he was fine when i went to bet, and when i got up in the morning, he could only drag himself by his front paws. i immediately took him to the vet, and they said realistically there was nothing much they could do. the clot had cut off some of the circulation in his back legs, and his temp was too low to register on their thermometer (cats get their temp taken rectally). his back paws felt a good 10 degrees cooler than his front ones. the vet said they could MAYBE dissolve the clot with drugs, but there might be tissue damage from the lack of circulation in the meantime, the treatment was very expensive, and there'd be no guarantee the problem wouldn't come back, so i had to make the hard choice to have him put to sleep. he was 12 years old, and had had a pretty darned good life...

I'm sorry to hear that. It is the price we pay for being responsible pet owners. My one consolation is that my pet cats have passed away in the arms of someone who loved them. I hope I check out of this world in the same manner.

Last edited:
Hi, Rocky. I too lost a cat last October. Her name was Sassy and she was my first female kitty. I loved her so much....
I am sorry for your loss. I will always miss Sassy. Here she is. She was soooooo cute!

Copy of 2009-08-25 002PPX3 25Pct.jpg

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back