Birds of Edmonds, WA. 2019

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

When it gets really cold I keep the feeders inside at night. The sun was not up at 7:25am this morning (2-6-19), but the hummer was at the feeder as soon as I hung it up. It did not even wait for me to back off before it perched on the feeder to feed. It is about 12*F according to the thermometer on the back deck, so the fluid will freeze in about an hour. I will have to swap feeders until the sun is shining on the feeder and keeps the fluid from freezing.
It's been getting pretty cold at night down here as well, 29-30 degrees with 28 expected tonight. I was going to set up my telescope since it was a day after the new moon, having dark skies and no clouds for once, but I was buried with work and with the cold conditions I chickened out. I have a couple of bird feeders plus the hummingbird feeder, the birds are devouring the seeds like crazy, must be to counteract the cold and build up energy stores. A couple brave ones still manage to take baths in the water dish, despite the cold.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Varied thrush continue to show up in my neighborhood. Tuesday (2-5-19) I saw two in my neighbor's front yard as I pulled into the court, but I could only get a shot of one from my pickup.

IMG_0001.jpg

Thursday morning (2-7-19) one perched on top of my storage shed.

01.jpg

Later that afternoon one flew across my backyard and perched in a tree in the yard behind mine before flying off again.

02.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Birds have been emptying my seed feeders quite quickly. Besides the usual juncos and chickadees, a few others have been showing up as well.

Thursday afternoon (2-7-19) I was surprised to see my nemesis, the ruby-crowned kinglet, at the suet feeder. I believe it is a first for my backyard.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Red-breasted nuthatches also dine at my seed feeders. They like to stash the seeds in the crevices of the thick bark of my Doug firs.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hummer continues to camp out for most of the day at one of the feeders on my back deck. A second one flew in while I was photographing the first. Unfortunately the camera did not lock on to the interloper before the "resident" hummer chased it off.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

A tree in my front yard is one place where the resident hummer hangs out when it is not occupying the feeder.

IMG_0005.jpg

More snow is predicted for this weekend starting as early as Friday afternoon.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snowmagedon has been forecast this weekend for the Puget Sound Region. It began Friday afternoon (2-8-19), so I went down to the marsh for photographs. The herons were the only birds visible.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Monday's (2-11-19) backyard snow birds.

As you can see, woodpeckers are making good use of the the two habitat stumps in my backyard. This female pileated pounded away for a while, then flew south towards Pine Ridge Park.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Flocks of juncos have been feeding at my seed and suet feeders. One is perched on top of a rhododendron bush.

IMG_0005.jpg

Varied thrush continue to show up in my neighborhood. Tuesday (2-5-19) I saw two in my neighbor's front yard as I pulled into the court, but I could only get a shot of one from my pickup.

View attachment 32272

Thursday morning (2-7-19) one perched on top of my storage shed.

View attachment 32273

Later that afternoon one flew across my backyard and perched in a tree in the yard behind mine before flying off again.

View attachment 32274
Beautiful bird, first time seeing one in photos.

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com