Edmonds Eagles 2017-2018

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
When photographing eagles in sunny conditions, Terry and I routinely start at -1/3 exposure compensation, then look at our photos so see where to go from there.
Yep, exactly. Which, for me, is more like -2/3 from default, since I always shoot at +1/3 under normal conditions.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have frequently seen a juvie flying around town this winter. I suspected I may actually be seeing two or more birds, as there were three local fledglings in 2017. My thoughts were confirmed Monday afternoon (4-9-18) when I saw two juvies chasing each other around the bluff above Marina Beach Park where the Pt. Edwards condos are located.

IMG_0001.jpg

One was noticeably darker than the other.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursday afternoon (4-13-18) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched on the "family" tree at the top of Pine St. while I was at the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

Later I heard distress calls that gulls typically make when an eagle is in the vicinity. I looked up to see that the eagle had left the tree and was stretching its wings over town with an attendant gulltourage. I took some shots with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter to practice tracking a bird in flight with that camera/lens combo, which has a narrow field of view.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was out on the fishing pier on a dark and dreary Monday afternoon (4-16-18) when the "sibs", as I call the two juvies I believe are 2017 fledglings, passed over the marina.

The first one, the darker of the two, made a few circles over Olympic Beach before heading south.
IMG_0001.jpg

The second one, the lighter of the two, chased a gull carrying a fish out over Puget Sound.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

It gave up on obtaining a free meal and resumed its southward flight, flying past the fishing pier and over the marina in the process.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
I've learned to love the young baldies. The mottled feathers and patterns makes them interesting. When I first started, I'd often pass them up in favor of mature adults. Now I've got so many bald eagle photos they all start to look the same. At least with the younger ones you have different patterns and variations in color etc to keep things more interesting.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also like the juvies too. Until they mature and start concerning themselves with things like finding mates, establising territories, and raising young; they are like a bunch of rambunctious children without a care in the world.

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday morning (4-17-18) a sub-adult was flying over the Sound off Sunset Ave. It looks like a third year bird as it still has a few white feathers on its wings and body plus black feathers on its head and tail. Taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com