Going to the dogs with Nina.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may have been raining cats and dogs all day but I had a chance to spend a day with a bunch of dogs and NinaS at the dog agility event in Ridgefield WA.

I've been to agility trials before and they are just a bunch of fun to watch but a chance to shoot with Nina was even better. Now I will tell you it is not the same to be there with a camera as sitting in the bleachers. Don't let anybody tell you it is easy. Thank goodness I shot digital instead of film because my credit card would be maxed out and only a few keepers to show for the effort.

There were all kinds of dogs.
Small dogs were there who thought they could fly.
4257723057_a557d4dfa5.jpg

4258472722_b9ed87aa83.jpg

and some who did even without wings.
4258472818_e58af73f33.jpg

There were big dogs too.
4257714695_86087e3a4d.jpg

4257708385_10e5052c23.jpg

4258468026_da2891a8ef.jpg

4258468142_c0ce2778d7.jpg

I can't forget the furry ones,
4258473074_02103b4a4c.jpg

or the ones with really, really short hair.
4258468220_3dfc482f6d.jpg

No matter what they were all going really, really fast.
4257715029_54b96a5d8f.jpg

and they hit the ground running.
4257709003_8f7ac0a07d.jpg

They blew through the chutes.
4258467418_de9da7d971.jpg

4258467950_e6a551e47d.jpg

But no matter what they all had smiles on their faces.
4257708805_b9a96c0f17.jpg

4258467648_8597918cca.jpg

4258467200_ae2563cb43.jpg

And, so did I. :D :D :D

Thanks Nina for letting me join you and use your fast camera. But most importantly you taught me a lot.

Lots of fun and quite a challenge, isn't it?

You'll never look at dogs quite the same way once you've shot agility. Suddenly you start liking certain breeds based on color and speed. ;)

Yep, you'll definitely learn a lot and push yourself and your equipment when you're doing agility indoors.

- Bob

PS - If you're real lucky, you get to shoot "disc dog" for a while. That's loads of fun!

Oh, Disc dog would be fun and so would fly-ball.
It is much harder than landscape photography but more fun.

Yes, Disc Dog is great fun, and while the lighting is much better it's still challenging since you have to try and follow the dog which can be un-predictable at times.

BTW - For those of you who might be wondering what "Disc Dog" is, it's the trademark respecting version of "Dogs Chasing Frisbees"

View attachment 1959

Janice, thank you for coming, it was great meeting you :)
now you get to join the fast club, Bob & I are founding members LOL

you should mention, to those who want to know
all of the above agility images shot on the Canon 50D with a 70-200 f/2.8L lens
all shot at ISO 6400, f/2.8 shutter between 1/160th & 1/250th, most at 1/200th,
K WB at 3400K ... arena temperature upper 30's brrrr

Thanks for reminding me about the shooting data. I always get excited about posting the photos and forget about the details. Was it really THAT COLD in there? Good thing I was bundled and wore my fingerless gloves.

It was a good time I am still smiling thinking about it and it was great meeting you too.

Janice, thank you for coming, it was great meeting you :)
now you get to join the fast club, Bob & I are founding members LOL

you should mention, to those who want to know
all of the above agility images shot on the Canon 50D with a 70-200 f/2.8L lens
all shot at ISO 6400, f/2.8 shutter between 1/160th & 1/250th, most at 1/200th,
K WB at 3400K ... arena temperature upper 30's brrrr

Yeah, it's the fast club all right... No matter what you camera can do, when you're shooting indoor agility, you'll be using everything it has!

Even with Nina's fast camera I got bunches of blurry butt shots (I'm a bit slow on the trigger). Now if there was a market for "soft focus" dog shots I'd be rich.

itz all about tracking & timing LOL shoot a few hundred dog runs & you'll get there :)

the problem with the whole set up, is at f/2.8 your DOF is sooo shallow, that you have to be locked on to the right end of the dog LOL ... to practice, go shoot birds in flight, same principle

WOwW!! Those are great Janice!!!! It was cold enough for fingerless gloves??? I will have to bring mine tomorrow.

Too many greats to call a favorite, but I love the dogs expressions. Some look like they are smiling right AT you. That is neat. In fact, that last retreiver almost looks like he is laughing.

Nina, those are shot at 6400 iso? Are you SERIOUS?!?! I can't believe the noiseless imagery your camera gets at that high speed. I am truly impressed. Stunned. Is the focus on that AI Servo?

WOwW!! Those are great Janice!!!! It was cold enough for fingerless gloves??? I will have to bring mine tomorrow...

You could be in trouble desert girl. :) Those arenas can be cold and drafty, and while the dogs are running like mad, you end up standing in one place a lot. The one up here has radiant heaters, which helps if they're on, but it's still chilly.

Wear boots, insulated ones if you have them. Dress warmly and in layers, the usual PNW clothes, be sure to bring a hat, all that stuff. You can always remove a layer or two if you need to do. I'd suggest considering long johns too, depending on the temps.

Leia,
yes AI Servo ... :)
the 50D gets knocked around by those who think it is a cheap XXD camera, but Canon only have two other bodies that equal or beat it for low light sports capabilities, and they are the 1DnMIII and the new 7D ... the worst thing about the camera is it is a 16+MP camera, and sports shooters don't want or need all those MP's LOL

why I made Janice use my 50D over her 5D2, which has beter ISO performance? two things ... 1.6 crop factor, and fast burst/sports abilities vs full frame portrait camera

for what I do the 50D out performs most of the better bodies, but only the sports shooters will ever agree with me LOL

I've shot weddings with this setup, no flash, sit in the back of the room during the ceremony and have awesome shots ... it has it's uses :)

itz all about tracking & timing LOL shoot a few hundred dog runs & you'll get there :)

the problem with the whole set up, is at f/2.8 your DOF is sooo shallow, that you have to be locked on to the right end of the dog LOL ... to practice, go shoot birds in flight, same principle

Yep, a few days practicing with Nina and it will get easier. Not easy mind you, but easier.

As for the depth of field, it can be a challenge. I ended up pre-focusing on the obstacle or the ground a certain distance in front of it so the lens only had to move a tiny bit to get focus.

Of course if you want to have some real fun with depth of field, try my "nifty fifty" 1.4! It's a great lens, but it can be challenging. Of course you Canon fans could pick up their 50 mm f 1.2 (!) lens. The depth of field on that one is probably measured in millimeters, or maybe microns. :)

WOwW!! Those are great Janice!!!! It was cold enough for fingerless gloves??? I will have to bring mine tomorrow.

Did I mention I also had wool socks, thermal underwear, a sweatshirt, down vest and a shell over that? Oh I brought a stocking cap but hate hats and only where them when I must. Brrrrrr :)

geez, I only had a turtle neck, T-Shirt, sweatshirt & jacket ... was frozen to the bone, but slow traffic going home gave me a chance to thaw a bit LOL

geez, I only had a turtle neck, T-Shirt, sweatshirt & jacket ... was frozen to the bone, but slow traffic going home gave me a chance to thaw a bit LOL

LOL. I do like my comfort, a warm shooter is a happy shooter.

I could have stayed longer had it not been for that phone call :(

Gotcha! Dress warm....but mobile. I had wondered if there would be laying on the ground (I am totally down with that!), or running. Guess I was off on both. You just stand?

*makes note: minimal caffeine intake tomorrow am*

Nina, thanks for the information on the differences of the cameras.

Janice, again, congrats on your beautiful captures and what must have been an amazing day. :D

Sure wish I had thermal pants....

Last edited:
Are there fees to get in to these? I told the boyfriend I had never been to a dog show that charged, but I had never been to an AGILITY dog show.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back