Going to the dogs with Nina.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I'm sure if I made my living doing portraits and/or landscape, I could easily fall in love with the 5DmkII or the 1D series cameras, as in a lot of ways, they are far superior in quality, well, at least in price, so we assume quality LOL

I did research before I bought my 50D's, I had been saving for a 1DNmkII when the 50D was announced, and specs side by side, I went with the cheaper body, because sports cameras are used & abused ... remember, my older 50D has well over 230K images & still ticking (like a timex) LOL

the lesson, is know what you plan on doing with your camera, research the best ones for your needs, then make your informed purchase.

When people ask me what they should get, my first question is "do you have kids? how old" If there is the slightest chance they'll be watching/shooting youth sports in the next few years, I do advise the 50D, 1DNmkII or now the 7D ... because after their first basketball or volleyball game, they'll thank me for fast camera & fast glass LOL

Me, too!! Me, too!!! I am still blown away that we were shooting at 6400 iso with such minimal noise.

And all Canon zoom lenses are not created equal either.

*goes to stomp on her 70-300*

And all Canon zoom lenses are not created equal either.

*goes to stomp on her 70-300*

LOL, I don't quite feel that way about my 100-400. I just may have to have more than one to love someday.

Janice, I am curious. Did your experience with the 100-400 equip you to zoom in while locked in focus without losing focus?

I rarely ever use my 70-300 as it doesn't have the clarity/success ratio of my other lenses. I am using it to practice now though

Not really because that is not normally how I shoot. I have shot bike races which is my closest comparison and I always focused based on the subject being there when I pushed the trigger and everything else like birds on a branch are not moving. I would expect my zoom to be painfully slow without an added battery grip but have not tested it.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back