It's Owl Season..... Again

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Found my new friend again this morning. This is a downtown Barred Owl that is frequenting the creek between the main post office and city hall.

BADO1117.jpg

Janice: good shots of the great horned owl at Ridgefield. I stopped there Saturday (11/15) on my way to Vancouver, but no owl sightings for me.

Janice: good shots of the great horned owl at Ridgefield. I stopped there Saturday (11/15) on my way to Vancouver, but no owl sightings for me.

I was there yesterday, did not see any owls. But did see three pairs of Bald Eagles and lots of Tundra Swans.

Wednesday (11/19) morning a snowy owl was discovered near Pine St. Park in Edmonds and reported on Tweeters. I quickly found it with the usual help of the Evil Minions of the Dark Lord. Taken handheld with the 5DIII + 100-400L zoom.

01.JPG

02.JPG

I got a few closeups of the owl perched on the chimney of a house located right on the street before it flew a block away to the roof of a house which was located further back from the street. The crows followed the owl and began a pattern of harassment which lasted all day.

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Snowy Owl in Edmonds

Great shots Bill!
When we arrived the owl had moved around to the back of the roof with his back towards the street. We got a few brief glimpses of his face. What a beauty!

Wow, Bill. Great shots! Thanks so much for calling me to let me know it was here. I think I'll try again tomorrow, but earlier.

Wednesday (11/19) morning a snowy owl was discovered near Pine St. Park in Edmonds and reported on Tweeters. I quickly found it with the usual help of the Evil Minions of the Dark Lord. Taken handheld with the 5DIII + 100-400L zoom.

Great shots. Glad to see they are moving south now.

Sweet! Thanks for the update, Bill. I've been waiting to hear if we'd get any this winter after missing out last year. Looks like the east coast and midwest are once again getting their share of snowy sightings.

Max

I envy you guys for these shots. I have yet to even take pictures of a Snowy owl. How often do they show up around there?

There was a report a few days ago of Snowy owl just west of Salem, OR way out in some fields making some landings. It didn't stick around for long as it was last seen flying west of there.

There's also been sightings in Ocean Shores Washington just recently.

Keep up the great work, Bill & Terry!

Chad

It has been reported that snowy owl irruptions occur in the lower 48 states about once every 4-5 years. This is the third year out of the past four that snowys have been seen in my area, so maybe something is afoot with the environment up north. Coming from the open tundra, snowys prefer open areas, which is why you see them perching on driftwood, beaches, levees, and rooftops instead of hiding in trees.

Thanks, Joe and Chad! Chad, They show up in cycles of every few years. The last really big 'irruption' here was in 2012. There was a smaller event in 2013. This siting this year here in Edmonds seems extra early to me, but I'm no expert!

This shot was taken in B.C. at Boundary Bay in February 2012.
2-23-2012 Snoozing Snowy Owl pair Boundary B_0543.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back