Owl Season 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

My neighborhood owl doesn't really like the rain messing his feathers up.
16992604861_84ebff0772_o.jpg
"My head is getting wet." by Janice L, on Flickr

Just need to shake it out, really shake it out.
16786118157_66b94430e9_o.jpg
Just shake, shake, shake. by Janice L, on Flickr

Now that's better.
16967543746_2fdede3a5f_o.jpg
Aren't I pretty. by Janice L, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good stuff, Bill.

I'll add another non-local owl to this thread, as I picked up my very first Barn Owl on a recent California trip. Hard to believe that I'd seen 20+ species of owls around the world, and the most common species--Barn owls are found worldwide--had eluded me until now.

View attachment 17914

Max

Love the barn owl in the cliffs.

Daren has finally taken an interest in taking photos.

Good for you Daren, hope to see more of your photography. What a great way to start!

I love that series, Janice. You really captured the moment.

Janice's photos prompted me to find some time on Tuesday to get out and see what else was happening with the Barred owls, the first time I'd been out to their forest in 9 days. I was digging the weather with the showers, sunbreaks with partly cloudy skies, providing different types of light opportunities. I found an owl!

"Tuesday, afternoon,
I'm just beginning to see,
Now I'm on my way,
It doesn't matter to me,
Chasing the clouds away.

Something, calls to me,
The trees are drawing me near,
I've got to find out why
Those gentle voices I hear
Explain it all with a sigh."
- The Moody Blues

Tuesday Afternoon
8992452_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday (4/15) the Pine Ridge Park barred owl was hunting a Douglas' squirrel. Our presence did not seem to bother the owl as it flew around after the squirrel.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Even though the squirrel would reveal its location with its distress calls, it held the advantage in the thick foliage in the daylight and got away. The owl paused to groom itself and take a nap in bright sunshine.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Great shots. A dangerous game that squirrel played, taunting the squirrel is a risky thing.

Nice to see you're finding some owls, Bill. I stopped by Yost last week and struck out. Was hoping to try again in the next day or two, so maybe I'll have to visit Pine Ridge as well.

Max

Here's a few grab shots near the SW Portland nesting location from the morning of April 25th. The previous night's showers left the forest drenched. Sunday's sunrise was warm and bright, producing the 'God rays' throughout the landscape
683298_orig.jpg

8139197_orig.jpg

1772097_orig.jpg

Thank you Janice, Bill and Terry!

What's the status over at Pine Ridge Park? It's been a few weeks since an update. At that time it looked like the owls hunting activity was really ramping up.

Just a brief summary on the appearance of 3 Barred owlets in SW Portland. The owlets started showing themselves on Thursday the 23rd of April with the presence of a lone owlet.

2 owlets began appearing together on Saturday and Sunday. By Monday and Tuesday of last week, 3 owlets were hanging out together on the limbs just outside of the nest cavity. By Wednesday the 29th, 2 of the 3 owlets were making leaps and bounds up into the canopy of the nesting tree. Thursday April 30th all 3 were well above the the nesting hole up in the growing greenery of the canopy. Friday, the 3 owlets were blending in quite well up in the forest canopy approaching 90+ feet up and leaping into neighboring maple trees.

I have a whole lot of photos I still have to peruse through from the past several weeks. Here's a few from last week.

Mom with owlet
9744860_orig.jpg

The three siblings
9622767_orig.jpg

5981419_orig.jpg

Chad

Last edited:
What's the status over at Pine Ridge Park? It's been a few weeks since an update. At that time it looked like the owls hunting activity was really ramping up.

I've been there several times recently, but haven't seen the owl. the pileated woodpeckers are pretty active, though - last time i was there (about a week ago), they were working on what appeared to be a nest-hole. i need to get back down there later this week to see how they're doing.

Last edited:
last time i was there (about a week ago), they were working on what appeared to be a nest-hole.
Edit: Ooops, you were talking about the pileated woodpeckers.

Barreds are a cavity nesting bird. For them to be working a nest-hole is a really good sign!

If they are at that hole, you will want to really keep an eye on that. There's a good chance it's a nest. Once the young owlets appear, it's only a matter of days until they make their way up into the canopy.

Chad

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back