SUPERMOON tomorrow

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Interesting color, Chad. Did it actually look this color?

Yes it did, Terry. A fair amount of smoke in the air east of Portland caused by a Gorge wildfire coupled by dusk helped to produce the orange hue.

Last edited:
Thanks, Chad, I wondered if that might have been the cause. My shots look like they were black and white....

Here's my navel orange, Terry, with a special thanks to Vancouver, BC, for the brown haze filter.

OrangeMoon.jpg

^^Nice, Joe! I was going to say, your moon shot coming up from behind Mt. Baker has a rather orange appearance too.

Terry, we started getting a more black and white appearance with it a few hours after moonrise when it was further along in the sky. I can't say that we got the clarity of the moon that you and Rocky had. Nice shots.

The Harvest Moon rises tonight and this year is a SUPER MOON!!! Third and final super moon of the year. Stay up late and harvest some corn! http://earthsky.org/space/harvest-moon-2

I may get out there tonight and photograph it.

This is certainly one of the best times of the year for photography. Lots of events around here, Vaux's Swifts at Chapman Elementary in SW Portland, Swan Island Dahlias fields in Canby are peaking, The radiant heatwaves are subsiding and the beautiful autumn colors are coming in.

Blue Oyster Cult fans? This is one of my favorite songs by them, you may have never heard it before! Harvest Moon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w5QxOO27uE

Lots of other musicians have written and played songs with the reoccurring theme "Harvest Moon"

Chad

Last edited:
Low clouds over the foothills here, so the moon was pretty high by the time it cleared the clouds.
Que sera, sera....

9/9/2014, 12:43am
It looked pretty much like any other full moon shot taken off my back deck.

5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4x teleconverter, handheld using monochrome setting + blue tint.

The shot was so far under exposed that it was off the light meter. I just kept adjusting the shutter speed until I saw something I liked in the viewing screen.

1/1000, f/8.0, ISO 200
01.JPG

I heard some very strange sounds while I was on the back deck. One was definitely the hooting of a barred owl, but I don't know what the other screeches were.

Last edited:
Without the mountains (Cascades) or something for size comparison, they all look the same to me. Wonder if you have a screech owl nearby....:)

Without the mountains (Cascades) or something for size comparison, they all look the same to me. Wonder if you have a screech owl nearby....:)

They all look the same to everyone! Even with a reference point, you really can't tell the difference, it's not that big. The size of lens you use will have a FAR greater effect. So will how far you are from the foreground subject. Get a long ways away from a barn or tree, and let the moon rise behind it and it will look gigantic. Shoot the biggest moon of the year with a 16 mm lens and it will look like a little white dot.

They all look the same to everyone! Even with a reference point, you really can't tell the difference, it's not that big. The size of lens you use will have a FAR greater effect. So will how far you are from the foreground subject. Get a long ways away from a barn or tree, and let the moon rise behind it and it will look gigantic. Shoot the biggest moon of the year with a 16 mm lens and it will look like a little white dot.
Sounds like the prescription for my digiscoped Mt. Baker/super moon shot.

9/9/2014, 12:43am
It looked pretty much like any other full moon shot taken off my back deck.
5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4x teleconverter, handheld using monochrome setting + blue tint.
The shot was so far under exposed that it was off the light meter. I just kept adjusting the shutter speed until I saw something I liked in the viewing screen.
1/1000, f/8.0, ISO 200
I heard some very strange sounds while I was on the back deck. One was definitely the hooting of a barred owl, but I don't know what the other screeches were.

you can't use electronic metering... there's just not enough light. for a full moon, i get good results at about 1/320, f/8, ISO 200. if you're up in the mountains, where the air is thinner, and the moon is brighter, you can up the speed to maybe 1/500... obviously, for a half-moon or less, you'll need a longer exposure, since the moon's reflecting a lot less light...

Last edited:
obviously, for a half-moon or less, you'll need a longer exposure, since the moon's reflecting a lot less light...
You can do quite well with a scope, especially one with an 80mm objective lens. There wasn't much light reflecting off this moon.

Moonshot0815.jpg

Couldn't agree more, Bob, but at least its cool to look at a totally full moon. :)

There is a large solar flare headed our way. The good news is that it is predicted to cause an increase in activity of the northern lights.
http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-extreme-solar-storm-heading-earth-215644949.html

the bad new is, depending on how strong it is and what portion of the earth takes the brunt of it, it could seriously mess up communications and some electronic stuff... i'm all in favor of the aurora, but i'd prefer my cell phone didn't quit working... ;)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back