Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Later that afternoon my son and I went to Pine Ridge Park to look for the barred owl. We did not see it, but we saw five or six juvie wood ducks in the large pond/small lake. The water level is down quite a bit due to the lack of rain this summer.

Great to see, Bill.

BTW, Bill, I stopped after our lunch and managed to get a marginal shot (strong backlighting) of a pair of Cedar Waxwings just before they flew off. They were in the pine trees on the edge of the retention pond at Pt. Edwards.

7-13-2015 cedar waxwing pair pt edwards_8859.JPG

As a follow up, here's a shot I took this AM just before you got to the Pt. Edwards detention pond. I think the waxwings were after the wild choke cherries rather than the 'two berries'

Taken with the Canon 5Diii and 400mm f5.6L + 1.4x extender - hand held ISO 1600 1/1250s f8

7-15-2015 cedar waxwing with berry 8921.JPG

Some Wednesday evening (7/15) shots from the marsh shortly before sunset.

One of the crow families which has nested at the marsh this year.
01.JPG

The adult got tired of listening to the juvie beg and flew off.
02.JPG

Sandpipers continue to hang out.
03.JPG

I have seen a pair of great blue herons at the far south side. I wonder if they are trying to build a nest in the trees along Willow Creek, out of sight of the eagles.
04.JPG

Juvie Wood Duciks

Bill Anderson, his son Daren, and I went to Pine Ridge park yesterday afternoon. Here's a couple of shots of the juvenile Wood Ducks on the large (but getting smaller) pond - we didn't see the adults. The ducks were quite tame, owing to the presence of the Mallards that are used to being fed, I suspect. My guess is that the darker colored juveniles are the males.

Taken with the Canon 5Diii and 400mm f4.5L I am fairly certain we duplicated each others shots, Bill :)

7-16-2015 Juvie Wood Duck pine ridge_8965.JPG

7-16-2015 Juvie Wood Duck pine ridge_8968.JPG

7-16-2015 Juvie Wood Duck pine ridge_8975.JPG

7-16-2015 Juvie Wood Duck pine ridge_8982.JPG

7-16-2015 Juvie Wood Duck pine ridge_8990.JPG

these are all males, Terry... you can tell by the beginnings of the "chin strap" markings under their chins... nice shots!

Continuing with Thursday's wildlife safari at Pine Ridge Park. A pileated woodpecker family was out hunting for food.
01.JPG

Adult feeding a juvie.
02.JPG

The male pounding a stump sounded like a jackhammer.
03.JPG

The juvie with its pink punker hair style spent quite a bit of time looking for food on the ground.....
04.JPG

before flying up to a tree.
05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
We headed back to the cars after photographing the wood ducks. I heard what sounded like two juvie birds crying to each other and set off to locate them.

I tracked down one of them, a juvie Cooper's hawk. Photography was difficult as I was shooting from shade uphill through the trees into a patch of bright sunlight. Juvie Cooper's hawks like to hang out with their nest mates for a time after fledging and will call to each other when separated.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
nice catches, Bill! i never did find where they actually nested... haven't been down to Pine Ridge for a while, looks like it might be worth another visit!

A beautiful light morph red-tailed hawk circled the Edmonds marsh Monday afternoon (7/20).
01.JPG

02.JPG

It was kept under surveillance by a Cooper's hawk that may have a nest in the area.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Both raptors were closely watched by gulls.
05.JPG

Thursday evening (7/23) I caught a green heron at the marsh while I was testing my new 7D Mark II coupled with my 500L + 1.4x teleconverter.

The green heron's larger cousin, the great blue heron, can be seen in the background.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The heron voiced its displeasure at some crows that had flown over to investigate.
03.JPG

It flew to a mud flat closer to the boardwalk.
04.JPG

I grabbed the 5DIII + 100-400 II zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter and quickly repositioned myself for an unobstructed shot before the heron flew south across the marsh and vanished behind the trees bordering Willow Creek.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Back tracking a little to Tuesday, 7/21. I went over to Sprague Pond at Lynnwood's Mini Park while my son was at the gym.

A female wood duck has been hanging out at the pond among the mallards. Wood ducks are usually shy, but this one has taken to swimming right up to the bank to beg for food along with the mallards.
02.JPG

You can see how much smaller she is than the mallards in this group shot.
01.JPG

The ducks walked across the parking lot directly in front of me to look for goodies under the bird feeders of the house next to the park.
03.JPG

Wood ducks are the only ducks that have claws, which you can see in this photo.
04.JPG

They returned to the pond. You can guess the title of this shot.
05.JPG

Last edited:
As I mentioned, the house next to the park has bird feeders. A red-breasted nuthatch was flying a regular circuit between the the feeder and a wooded area nearby.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back