Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Wesley provided the only color and action at the marsh on a dark and gloomy Friday (2/21).

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Across the marsh and up the hill from Wesley, the Pt. Edwards eagles perched in the family tree at the top of Pine St.

Posing
11.JPG

Stretching
12.JPG

Departing
13.JPG

15.JPG

18.JPG

One of the juvies was active along the bluff above Puget Sound south of Pt. Edwards. The tide was out so I was able to walk the beach south from the off leash dog park and scan the trees above the railroad tracks.
19.JPG

I took a series of photos which would have been great take-off shots had there been any sunlight. :mad: Here are three of them.
23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

Initially both of the Pt. Wells' adults were perched on a superstructure at Pt. Wells. One had flown off when I got closer and snapped this photo. I'll be able to photograph them up close and personal when we have our super low tides in June and July.
26.JPG

Last edited:
No photography this weekend as the weather was too wet and dark for good photos. Here are some of the Harlequin ducks from Thursday (2/20). It was these ducks that drew us around the SW corner of the marina where we subsequently saw the sea lion action. These photos were taken handheld with the 5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4 teleconverter while I was balanced precariously on the rocks of the breakwater trying not to get sliced by the barnacles.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Tuesday (2/25) morning, an evil minion of the Dark Lord posed for publicity shots at the Edmonds marsh. I love engaging crows as models because they will work for peanuts. ;)
01.JPG

02.JPG

Several yellow-rumped warblers were in the trees along the marsh walkway near the tennis courts. I caught one perched in the sunlight for a few seconds.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A red-tailed hawk soared above the Pt. Edwards condos in the late afternoon.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Although I got some good eagle shots Wednesday (2/26/14), I am not posting them because they look like so many of the other eagle shots I have recently posted. I did not; however, want to waste a rare sunny winter's day, so here are photos of other birds.

These were taken handheld with the 5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4 teleconverter looking west across Puget Sound from Marina Park. Besides cropping, I used Picasa's auto contrast + auto color features to tweek the photos. Call it the techno-impaired man's Photoshop.

The evil minions of the Dark Lord are hopeless posers. I wanted to shoot in Av mode at f/16 to get the mountains in focus, but the crow flew off before I could make the adjustments to my camera.
01.JPG

It landed near me and I got a few shots.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Some Brant were floating just off the beach.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Brant are difficult to photograph as they have dark heads + dark eyes. Crows are even more difficult to photograph as they are completely black.

Last edited:
Red-tailed hawk soaring above Pt. Edwards as seen from Marina Park.
06.JPG

Pelagic cormorant off the fishing pier.
07.JPG

Female red-breasted merganser from the fishing pier.
08.JPG

Downy woodpecker in a tree along the marsh walkway.
09.JPG

Golden-crowned sparrow on the ground along the marsh walkway.
10.JPG

Thursday (2/27) a female red-breasted merganser was catching fish off Marina Park.
01.JPG

Suddenly she flew up for no apparent reason.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

A cormorant had sneaked up on her from below the surface in an attempt to steal her fish.
05.JPG

As Rocky said, not much was happening at Marina Park on Friday (2/28).

Before lunch I got the usual silhouette shot of the Woodway pair of ravens doing their daily fly-over of Edmonds. I have yet to get good photos of them. :mad:
01.JPG

After lunch, Terry, Daren, and I hiked Yost Park where I got shots of small, cute, gurlie birds.

Ruby-crowned kinglet.
02.JPG

Brown Creeper.
03.JPG

Golden-crowned kinglet.
04.JPG

Black-capped chickadee.
05.JPG

Last edited:
From Yost Park Daren and I drove down to Brackett's Landing, where we caught the Brant riding out heavy surf.

Initially the Brant were between the ferry dock and the jetty.
01.JPG

Something spooked them....
02.JPG

and they flew north of the jetty.
03.JPG

The jetty provided unique photo angles not available from the beach.
04.JPG

05.JPG

I like the shot of the brants on the wave (last photo), Bill - surfer dudes :)

I was trying to get some surfer shots, but it was hard to overcome depth of field issues with the 100-400L telephoto zoom + 1.4 teleconverter, even when shooting at f/14 in M mode. The regular exposure compensation setting does not work in M mode, so I achieved negative exposure (usually -1/3) by adjusting the ISO.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back