Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Hopefully things will pick up, Bill. :)

BTW, here's a shot I forgot to process in the series I posted yesterday - its the initial shot of the Eagle taking off from her nest. The main reason I am posting it here is it gives an idea of the incredible fully-stretched wing span of these amazing creatures. Because of the dark background and dark wings you have to look closely to see the tips. I'm guessing it has to be pushing seven or more feet - certainly well over 6 feet.

1-30-2014 fm eagle pine st_8243.JPG

Last edited:
crows are among the smartest birds there are... stands to reason they'd figure it out. jays? well, they're just greedy! nice shots, Bill!

Friday (1/31) Terry and I gave visiting forum member Rocky a tour of our secret avian photo hot spots in Edmonds. As we drove up Pt. Edwards, we saw the resident eagle pair circling overhead. One of the birds had some branches in its talons and was heading for the nest.

We caught her(?) in the nest.
01.JPG

I missed shots of her flying out of the nest, but I think Terry and Rocky got a few. She flew to the nearby sentry tree, where the pair often perched last year after their two babies grew large enough to fill up the nest.
02.JPG

She flew to the top of the sentry tree.......
03.JPG

..... while her mate remained in an adjacent tree.
04.JPG

A juvie flew by as we were giving Rocky a tour of the Pt. Edwards walkway. We all noticed that it had a bad leg. It may be one of the two 2013 Hutt Park juvies, as last year I photographed one dangling a leg while perched in the family tree at Hutt Park. Check post #315 here: http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?7934-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA/page32
05.JPG

Last edited:
Wesley was cleaning his bill at the marsh.
06.JPG

07.JPG

A double-crested cormorant was giving itself a salt water bath off the fishing pier.
08.JPG

09.JPG

From the fishing pier we went to Marina Park. Terry had bailed on us at the marsh, so I knew we were in for a real show at the park. We ran into forum member Jenine, who said we had missed hot eagle action that morning: three juvies and two sub adults all screeching and harassing each other with the Pt. Edwards adult pair nowhere to be seen.

We saw one of the Pt. Edwards adults in the family tree past the dog park.
10.JPG

Last edited:
The other adult was on the piling eating a fish.
11.JPG

She(?) began to screech, which alerted us to the presence of another eagle in the area.
13.JPG

The other eagle was a second juvie with two good legs.
12.JPG

She took off and after flying past the condos, headed south around Pt. Edwards.
14.JPG

15.JPG

The piling was not vacant for long as the other adult swooped in with a fish to eat
16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

The juvie was still in the area and the adult reacted by screeching.
19.JPG

20.JPG

The continued presence of the juvie.....
21.JPG

........ may have bothered the adult as it flew off without finishing the fish. Its mate flew out to investigate......
22.JPG

....... and the two adults circled over Pt. Edwards.
23.JPG

The juvie made a few passes by the piling without landing.
24.JPG

25.JPG

As you can tell by the quality of the latter photos, sunset was near and what little light remained was fading fast, so we all headed for home. I think Rocky enjoyed his visit to Edmonds as we gave him the eagle action he was seeking.

Last edited:
enjoy it i did, Bill, and i appreciate the guided tour! my shots of the nest didn't come out nearly as well as yours... the 7D isn't bad in low light, but it does get pretty noisy when the light is as dim and dull as it was today, and most of my shots from the nest area weren't worth keeping. i'll go back with better weather, though, and i'm sure that will help! that area does seem to have a number of good spots for shooting various birds, and will be on my list of places to visit regularly come spring especially.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. The best shots of the nest are taken with a really big telephoto lens (Terry's 4.0/500L + 1.4 teleconverter or my 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter) attached to the 7D and mounted on a tripod during a rare sunny summer afternoon.

Terry and I are out nearly every day shooting the same locations we took you, so we have developed an instinctual knowledge of the birds and the lighting. We must visit Yost Park the next time you come down and look for the resident barred owl pair.

Last edited:
enjoy it i did, Bill, and i appreciate the guided tour! my shots of the nest didn't come out nearly as well as yours... the 7D isn't bad in low light, but it does get pretty noisy when the light is as dim and dull as it was today, and most of my shots from the nest area weren't worth keeping. i'll go back with better weather, though, and i'm sure that will help! that area does seem to have a number of good spots for shooting various birds, and will be on my list of places to visit regularly come spring especially.

It was great meeting you Rocky - I hope you will join us again!

After Saturday's (2/1) orcas left, it was back to photographing the Pt. Edwards eagles. As I told Jenine, this is almost getting boring. How many of these shots do I really need?

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Super cool sequence, Bill!

Here's a few from this morning, before Superbowl :)
Janine and I visited the Pt. Edwards pair at the nest. Taken with the 7D and 500+1.4x - lighting was reasonable for a change.

2-2-2014 male eagle pt edwards_9200.JPG

2-2-2014 male eagle pt edwards_9201.JPG

2-2-2014 male eagle pt edwards_9202.JPG

2-2-2014 male eagle pt edwards_9203.JPG

Maybe this one should be titled "The Seahawk" He certainly looks the part :)
2-2-2014 male eagle pt edwards_9204.JPG

Good shots, Terry. No low light/high ISO noise, for a pleasant change. BTW, I am on to your subliminal, psychological campaign to convince me to buy that used 600L telephoto lens.

Local urban eagle recap:
The (Edmonds-Woodway) Pt. Edwards pair had one baby in 2011, none in 2012, and two in 2013. The female has recently been spending a lot of time at the nest for so early in the year. Maybe they will have more offspring in 2014.

The (Mountlake Terrace) Lake Ballinger pair had one baby in 2012 and none in 2013.

The (Edmonds) Hutt Park pair had two babies in 2013.

I don't know the location of the (Shoreline/Richmond Beach) Pt. Wells pair's nest, so I don't know how many babies they have had over the past 3-4 years.

These nests are in city parks or residential back yards of northern Seattle suburbs and are within a 5-15 minute drive from my house. The eagles tolerate the presence of us humans quite nicely and I can get fairly close to them so long as they are perched above me. Once on the ground, they are quite skittish.

In 2012 I counted a total of 13 eagles (4x2= 8 full adult breeding pairs + 5 juvies/sub adults) in the Edmonds/Woodway/Mountlake Terrace area. Maybe we will break that record in 2014.

Last edited:
I asked some questions about our local eagles' behavior and received the following reply from Ruth Milner, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) District Wildlife Biologist for Snohomish County. If you read this Ruth, thanks for your reply.

You are correct, our eagles leave their territories in August and used to return in December or January, but now it’s pretty standard to have them back in October. They go all over the place. Radio tracking shows bald eagles may go to Alaska, the Fraser River, California, even Montana – or they may just head to the local rivers. Young of the previous year often return with them to the natal territories. As the adults get closer to actually nesting, they will chase the older chicks away, sometimes, they really beat them up to get them to leave.

While concentrating on eagle shots on Superbowl Sunday, this flock of Common Mergansers flew by. They are not typically a salt-water bird - my guess is they are headed somewhere toward fresh or at least brackish water.
(taken with the Canon 7D and 500 f4L + 1.4x extender; 1/1250s f5.6 ISO 250)

2-2-2014 Common Merganser_9139.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back