Edmonds Eagles 2016-17

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Thursday morning (11-17-16) I spotted two stow-aways on a south bound log raft off Sunset Ave.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Still can't spot them?
IMG_0001.jpg

Then it looks like I need the 7DII + 500L telephoto + 2x teleconverter to photograph the action
IMG_0004.jpg

One of the eagles took off and made a foray over the Sound before returning to the raft.
IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
Taken from the marsh on 11-29-16.

Construction continues on the new apartments located at the top of Pine St. beneath the tree where the Pt. Edwards eagles often perch.
IMG_0001.jpg

The eagles' tree is on the left. I wonder at what point the activity and presence of construction equipment will scare off the eagles.
IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Friday morning (12-2-16) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched on the piling off Marina Beach.
01.jpg

It made several silent, serious yawns or swallows, behavior I never before seen in eagles.
02.jpg

Daren and I then drove to the marsh, where one of the eagles flew in from the direction of the ferry dock and scared up a large flock of herons.
04.jpg

03.jpg

By the time I swapped my 5DIII to the 500L telephoto and 1.4x teleconverter and mounted them all on the tripod, the eagle had already flown over to the fish hatchery to dry off.
05.jpg

Last edited:
The cold and wind did not stop the Pt. Edwards eagles was being amorous Tuesday (12-6-16) evening at sunset.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
I got down to the marsh Friday morning (12-19-16) for some snow shots and saw an eagle perched on the tree at the top of Pine St.
01.jpg

Closer examination showed that the eagle was a juvie.
02.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards pair flew over the marsh and put the herons to flight.
03.jpg

The juvie flew off before I could drive up the hill to check it out. I caught one of the Pt. Edwards adults at its usual perch by the ferry dock.
04.jpg

It took off for a cruise over the Sound.
05.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles was taking a drink at the marsh Monday afternoon (12-12-16).
01.jpg

02.jpg

Later I saw both of them flying together. They have been acting amorous of late, so maybe we will see some babies next spring.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

A friend reported seeing eagles working on the nest located on the grounds of the old Boeing estate in Woodway. The nest can be easily seen from the parking lot of the new Deer Creek park on Woodway Park Rd. I checked out the nest Friday afternoon (12/16/16) and found an eagle perched by the nest. Time will tell if the eagles lay eggs there.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday afternoon (12-17-16) an eagle flew over the marsh.

Can you spot the eagle perched in the middle tall tree on the fish hatchery grounds?
01.jpg

Zeroing in on the eagle.
02.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
I ran into several birder/bird photography friends Tuesday afternoon (12-20-16) at the fishing pier. One was Janine, who said the eagles were putting on quite a show. With the very high morning tide, they were flying at nearly eye level past the pier as they hunted fish.

One eagle dived just a few feet off the fishing pier. I didn't get any shots of the dive, but I got some as it flew south past the pier to eat its prey on the breakwater of the marina. I think it had gotten an undersized crab that a crabber had thrown back into the water.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
A crabber on the pier threw out a turkey leg he had been using as bait, which attracted a gull. The eagle saw the gull and flew back north to quite literally take the bait. As (bad) luck would have it, my camera broke focus just as the eagle snatched the leg out of the water. :mad:
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

The eagle flew to one of its usual perches by the ferry to eat the bait.
IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (12-22-16) Daren and I looked for eagle action.

One eagle was at what I am now calling the Deer Creek nest off Woodway Park Rd. in Woodway.
01.jpg

The Pt. Edwards nest was empty.
02.jpg

The best action took place at the marsh when one of the Pt. Edwards eagles flew in and landed by the creek, all the time accompanied by an evil minion of the Dark Lord.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The eagle remained long enough for me to drag out the 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter and mount them on the 5DIII and tripod at the #2 viewing platform. It stayed by Willow Creek, located at the south side of the marsh. This did not bother the nearly 15 great blue herons, which were sitting at the north side of the marsh.
06.jpg

The eagle took off east in the direction of the fish hatchery, then made a semi-circle back west around the marsh and flew over the herons, which needless to stay scattered them.
07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

The eagle was heading northwest towards the marina, but returned back to the marsh as the herons were landing.
11.jpg

The eagle was still far enough way that the herons continued to return and land.
12.jpg

The eagle took a few drinks of water and then flew south around Pt. Edwards.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
Friday (12-30-16) Daren and I ate lunch in the pickup at the marsh. Someone who had just been to waterfront told us that one of the eagles was perched near the ferry, so I kept an eye out for it to fly over to the marsh.

It did not disappoint me.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
The lack of reaction by the herons was very interesting. It appears they have lost their fear of the eagle as long as it remains a certain distance from them.
IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

After a few minutes the eagle took off and flew towards the herons, which prompted them to flight. Again, their behavior was surprising. Instead of retreating towards the marina like they usually do, they remained aloft for just a few minutes then landed back at their original location as the eagle flew south around Pt. Edwards.
IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

What better way to celebrate National Bird Day than to take photos of our national bird. Thursday morning I found one perched in a tree by a frozen Sprague Pond at Mini Park in Lynnwood.
IMG_0001.jpg

The eagle drew the usual attention from the evil minions of the Dark Lord.
IMG_0002.jpg

It flew across Cedar Valley Rd. to a tree at Scriber Creek Park.
IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back