Edmonds Transportation Mix

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

**I made a correction after looking at my files:
My photos are of the Hawaiian Chieftain, which is also the first pic in Bill's post, with the Lady Washington being the second.

Ask and ye shall receive, Terry....here's the Hawaiian Chieftan under full sail on Bellingham Bay.

Very nice! As somebody who has photographed that ship A LOT, I have to say that's an excellent photo. First of all, the obvious is the great light. You also got the Chieftain under full sail, as you said, with pretty much everything up and full of wind. They're all filled out nicely too, and look really good. Well done, excellent shot.

Thanks, Bob.
I was on a Whatcom Museum tour of the Bellingham waterfront that evening and both the Hawaiian Chieftain and the Lady Bellingham were on the bay at the time. I think they were engaged in some sort of "mock sea battle" with booming cannons, etc., FWIW. :confused:

Thanks, Bob.
I was on a Whatcom Museum tour of the Bellingham waterfront that evening and both the Hawaiian Chieftain and the Lady Bellingham were on the bay at the time. I think they were engaged in some sort of "mock sea battle" with booming cannons, etc., FWIW. :confused:

Yes, they do 3 hour battle sails on a regular basis. Fun and educational, and also great trips for photography.

So... You're telling me that you got that photo from SHORE, rather than on the ships? Good grief, man, that's downright amazing! I'm even more impressed now...

I'd like to leave you "even more impressed" but it was a museum cruise that I was on, in charge of ID'ing birds we encountered on the bay. :cool:

I'd like to leave you "even more impressed" but it was a museum cruise that I was on, in charge of ID'ing birds we encountered on the bay. :cool:

OK, now I feel a bit better. I haven't sailed in Bellingham Bay, so I wasn't sure of the local waters, but getting that from a dock would be quite a rarity. Shooting from a chase boat is the best option. I occasionally shoot the ships from land, did so for the battle sail in Bremerton a couple weeks ago. The inlet is long and narrow, so it worked out OK.

DSC_1293-Edit.JPG

A marine fog layer hung over the Sound off Edmonds for most of Thursday (10/9/14), which made for interesting lighting.

Picasa's auto contrast feature allowed me to create an effect that looks like an old hand-colored post card.
01.JPG

Out of the fog.
03.JPG

02.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Sunset was still a half hour away late Thursday (10/23/14) afternoon, but the autumn sun was low enough to reflect off the side of the ferry.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The Herzog train is used to clear debris from the train tracks. Due to the prevalence of landslides on the BNSF mainline between Seattle and Everett, a Herzog train has been based in Edmonds for over a year. After spending time at the fishing pier photographing birds on Thursday (12/4/14) afternoon, my son and I sat at the Dayton St. crossing waiting for the Herzog train before we headed to Sunset Ave.

The Herzog train was moving quite slowly. I reached for my 7D + 17-35L zoom sitting on the backseat of my car and took some grab shots as it passed by in front of us.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Two vessels on Puget Sound. Taken from the Edmonds public fishing pier on 12-12-14.

01.JPG

Last edited:
The Talgo control car affectionately named Towmater was leading Thursday morning's (1/29/15) Cascades from Vancouver, BC to Seattle. The bright sunshine made for a Chamber of Commerce promo shot.

001.JPG

In contrast, a fog bank rolled into downtown Edmonds late Friday (1/30/15) afternoon around sunset. It created sepia toned artsy/surreal/ethereal shots of the 4:30pm Everett bound Sounder from the top of the bluff on Sunset Ave.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday (2/5/15) a southbound freight crossed Dayton St. while I was photographing birds at the marina. I took the opportunity to experiment with pan shots to give an illusion of speed. These were taken handheld at 1/60 sec with my 100-400L telephoto zoom. I think 1/30 of a second with one of my wide angle zooms (17-34L or 24-105L) might be better.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Earlier in the day I took some artsy shots from Sunset Ave. of ships out in Puget Sound. The lighting was such that everything was fifty shades of gray. :eek:

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Thursday (2/5/15) a southbound freight crossed Dayton St. while I was photographing birds at the marina. I took the opportunity to experiment with pan shots to give an illusion of speed. These were taken handheld at 1/60 sec with my 100-400L telephoto zoom. I think 1/30 of a second with one of my wide angle zooms (17-34L or 24-105L) might be better.

I think the first shot was about right, Bill. I have played with this taking pictures of racing bikes - just takes a fair amount of experimentation.

A low lying fog bank over the west side of Puget Sound on Friday the 13th created opportunities for artsy photos of the Edmonds-Kingston ferries.

Edmonds bound ferry emerging from the fog.
01.JPG

Kingston bound ferry approaching the fog.
02.JPG

Kingston bound ferry disappearing into the fog in the background.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back