Edmonds Transportation Mix

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

A clear, sunny Tuesday (2/17/15) produced some nice views of the Olympic Mts., Puget Sound, and the Edmonds-Kingston ferry. For mid winter, there is not much snow on the Olympics.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Later in the day I went down to the fishing pier for sunset shots and snapped this one of the sunset reflecting off the ferry's windows.
03.JPG

Last edited:
Sunday (2/22/15) afternoon I took photos of a bald eagle perched in the tree near near corner of Edmonds St. and Sunset Ave.
01.JPG

During that time, four of Boeing's big birds passed by on their way to the factory in Renton.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I was at the #1 viewing platform of the marsh late Sunday (3/1/15) afternoon when an Air Force AWACS plane flew south along the horizon.
01.JPG

I found a small black dot above the jet after I returned home and viewed my photos on the computer. I believe I captured one of the Pt.Edwards eagles in the photo along with the AWACS plane.
02.JPG

Here is a photo of one of the eagles which flew over the marsh a little later. Compare its profile with that of the black dot in the photo above, especially the raised wings.
03.JPG

The Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8) is back on schedule with an arrival in Edmonds of about 5:08pm. Edmonds is the train's first scheduled stop after leaving Seattle. Tuesday's (3/3/15) #8 arrived as the sun was very low on the horizon, which back lit the train and some plants at the marsh. Such artsy/surreal/ethereal shots won't be possible after Saturday when we return to Daylight Savings time.

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

I relocated to Marina Park and got shots of a Singapore Airlines jetliner headed north to the Boeing plant and Paine Field in Everett near sunset.
01.JPG

I backed off on the zoom to get shots of the plane and full moon.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Saturday (3/14/15) I set up the super telephoto combo of my 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod on Sunset Ave. above Mile Post 18 to photograph birds out in Puget Sound. There were very few birds, but two northbound freights presented opportunities for some high compression shots.

First up was a coal train.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
The coal train was followed by a garbage train.

05.JPG

06.JPG

Later that afternoon i set up the same photo equipment at the #1 viewing platform of the Edmonds marsh to photograph snipes. I also caught the Seattle-Chicago Empire Builder (Amtrak train #8) as it passed Mile Post 18 and Marina Beach park.

07.JPG

08.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday (3/19/15) a southbound train of John Deere Harvesters, model #660 passed through Edmonds. I have read that past shipments of farm equipment like this were headed to the Port of Tacoma to be trans-loaded to an ocean freighter for shipment to the PRC.

I was photographing birds from the #1 viewing platform of the marsh using telephoto lenses. I wish I had been up on Sunset Ave. with a wide angle lens for shots of the entire train, which was probably a mile long, stretched out through town and along Puget Sound.

7D+ 100-400L telephoto zoom, handheld.
05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Saturday afternoon (3/28/15) my son Daren was pursuing his newly found interest in photography out on the fishing pier along with Terry and me. I preset the camera in Canon's Tv (shutter priority) mode for him with a shutter speed of 1/500 and auto ISO.

7D + 4.0/70-200L telephoto zoom, handheld
Crab boat.
01.JPG

Puget Sound panorama.
02.JPG

Last edited:
Monday's (4/6/15) Seattle bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #7) was running very late past the Edmonds marsh. The summer chartered private car touring season has arrived as the train had two private cars on the rear.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

A long time ago I read in Trains magazine that when photographing unusual trains, it is best to include something in the photo to identify the location. To that end, I can get the trains + the Edmonds Marina Beach park sign in the same photo with the help of a a telephoto lens.
07.JPG

For those who prefer not to mingle with the masses while they travel:

http://www.sierrahotel.com/

http://pugetsoundrailcar.com/

I'll confess that if I were Bill Gate$ rich, I would have my own private train, ala James West in the 1960's classic TV western, The Wild, Wild West. The train would consist of four or five 1940-50's era streamlined passenger cars pulled by vintage streamlined diesel locomotives from the same era.

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (4/16/15) my son Daren and I ventured north to Edmonds newest park, Haines Warf Park. The park has a great view of Puget Sound, the BNSF Seattle-Everett mainline, and the Olympic Mountains. I carefully mounted the 5DIII + 24-105L zoom + circular polarizing filter (CPF) on a tripod and set it up for panoramic shots of the Sound and a passing train. I wanted to try the hyperfocus technique, so I set the camera at 1/250 + f/16 and focused at about 1/3 of the distance out.

After waiting in vain for over an hour, I saw that Daren was getting bored. I took the equipment down and was putting it in the car when we heard the horn of a southbound freight. I quickly reassembled everything to take photos. I did not have time to put the CPF back on before the diesels passed below us.
01.JPG

I added the CPF for subsequent shots, but I don't know if it improved matters appreciably.
02.JPG

The diesels were just disappearing around the bend as the end of the train passed below us.
03.JPG

04.JPG

We will have to return. Mornings will be best for photographing trains, but the park should have good sunset and evening shots as well. I also saw a passing eagle, osprey, and red-tailed hawk. You can read about the park here:
http://www.edmondswa.gov/parks-recreation-departments/edmonds-city-parks/haines-wharf.html

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back