Parkscapes

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill, with the FF body, varying the focal distance won't make a real noticeable difference. with that setup, you'll see almost no change in the DoF just by changing where you focus. also, you won't see any appreciable difference between f/16 and f/22, and most lenses are sharpest between about f/8 and f/16. i almost never stop down past f/16 unless i have to to get the exposure i need.

what really affects the overall depth of field is the focal length of the lens. a 17mm lens will give you more than a 35, and by using your 24mm, you'll actually lose about 2 feet on the near end. the overall image may be sharper, if the 24-105 is a sharper lens, but it'll be due to the optics, not the DoF... for your 24mm, here's about what to expect... focused at 30 feet, at f/16, you'll get everything from about 4 feet to infinity. at f/22, you'll move the near distance in about a foot - hardly worth the potential loss of sharpness. focused at 300 feet, you'll see no appreciable change. for that matter, you won't see any really noticeable change focusing anywhere in the marsh... as long as you stay at 24mm, and keep the aperture at f/16, your DoF will be between about 4 feet and infinity. now... if you zoom that 24mm out to, say, 50mm, you'll suddenly see the near limit move out to about 16 feet, and at 100mm, it'll jump out to about 55 feet! clearly, the focal length is the key... for maximum depth of field, use a wide lens!

I don't either, Bill, but my eye locked on to your last image as being the best....The comparison would be easier if you used exactly the same framing for each image. But in the long run, they all look reasonable, to me. And now, having read Rocky's comment, I certainly agree with his technical explanation, although Jennifer Wu's technique, theory aside, certainly yields great results. :)

Last edited:
I don't either, Bill, but my eye locked on to your last image as being the best....The comparison would be easier if you used exactly the same framing for each image. But in the long run, they all look reasonable, to me. And now, having read Rocky's comment, I certainly agree with his technical explanation, although Jennifer Wu's technique, theory aside, certainly yields great results. :)

Terry, from what i can gather, Jennifer's technique is simply her method of implementing the same theory... she may call it something else, but it sounds to me like it's the same thing...

More marsh shots using hyperfocus. These were taken shortly after sunrise Monday (3/16/15) morning using my 5DIII + 24-105L wide angle lens, tripod mounted. I shot at f/16 while focusing about 1/3 out by lowering the focal point on the auto focus. I used -1 exposure compensation.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The foliage surrounding the marsh is "going green" with the arrival of spring. Here are shots my son Daren took Tuesday (3/31/15) with the 7D + 100-400L telephoto zoom. Earlier there were thunderstorms to the east of us while we were out photographing.

01.JPG

02.JPG

I like the lone goose flying overhead in this photo
03.JPG

05.JPG

Nice views, Bill - it won't be long and we are going to complaining about all the foliage in the way of our shots....

Wednesday afternoon (10-21-2015, aka Back to the Future Day) I went to Ballinger Park in nearby Mountlake Terrace while my son was playing tennis. The leaves on some trees in the northwest corner of the park have changed color. I had to take a series of shots as I did not have a wide-angle lens with me.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Monday (10/26/15) was a dark, overcast day at the marsh. I got in a brief photo session before it started to rain. With the right photo angles and cropping, the marsh can look like it probably did over 130 years ago before the town was developed.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:
After two days of rain, the water level at the marsh was high Sunday afternoon (11/15/15). I experimented with the 5III + 17-35L wide angle zoom.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

One of the resident kingfishers landed on the old martin gourd holder off the #2 viewing platform. Taken from the #1 platform with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
05.JPG

This week's wind storm felled many trees in the area. I make it a habit to stay out of the parks during such storms for the obvious reasons.

Marsh walkway between the #2 and #3 viewing platforms.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Yost Park.

A large branch broke off a tree at the bottom of the ravine.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

A falling branch or tree bent the handrail on a bridge over a tributary of Shell Creek.
06.JPG

07.JPG

Last edited:
Edmonds Parks & Rec. has cut up the branches which fell across the walkway at the marsh. These photos were taken Thanksgiving Day (11/26/15).
01.JPG

02.JPG

The branches will be chipped on site and will be spread around the new plantings.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I spent time experimenting with the 5DIII + 17-34L wide angle zoom. Some of the shots were taken using the HDR feature. Temps dropped into the low 20's F the night before. The white stuff along the waterways is heavy frost and ice.

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
Late Tuesday (12-8) afternoon ("late" afternoon being any time after lunch but before the 4:16pm sunset), Daren and I went to check the water level at the marsh. After several days of rain, the marsh now qualifies as "Lake Edmonds."

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back