Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

My best shot from the afternoon...Hope its OK to post it here :)

Attachments

• 5-10-2013 male pileated pine ridge park_6838.JPG
    5-10-2013 male pileated pine ridge park_6838.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 289
Wednesday (5/15) at the marsh.

A typical song sparrow will perch on a cattail and serenade you for several minutes.
01.JPG

While a typical marsh wren will curse you, moon you, then disappear into the cattails.
02.JPG

Three violet-green swallows were checking out the gourds hung for purple martins. The design of the entrance hole is supposed to keep the swallows from entering to nest inside.
03.JPG

It worked, as the swallows flew off.
04.JPG

Male cowbird. The female was down in the cattails, probably looking for a red-winged blackbird's or marsh wren's nest in which to lay an egg. The cowbird then leaves the egg for the "adoptive parents" to incubate and raise the hatchling.
05.JPG

Last edited:
It is really nice to see some colorful birds on the local scene after spending the "r" months shooting drab little grey, brown, and black ones. Here are some colorful birds from Thursday (5/16).

Two different species of warblers were posing for photographers at the marsh.

Yellow warbler
01.JPG

02.JPG

Wilson's warbler
03.JPG

04.JPG

Later that evening I found a black-headed grosbeak at Yost Park during my nightly owl hunt.
05.JPG

Love the yellow birds! Have you ever gotton a pic of the Western Tanager? One flew in my yard the other day and flew off... I didnt get a change to take a pic of him. I hope he comes back..

Love the yellow birds! Have you ever gotton a pic of the Western Tanager? One flew in my yard the other day and flew off... I didnt get a change to take a pic of him. I hope he comes back..

I got some last year, but none yet this year. Friday (5/17) Terry and I heard from a birder that some were seen at the fish hatchery. We looked there, but saw none.

Friday (5/17) Terry and I made our usual rounds under the usual overcast sky.

Crows and red-winged blackbirds were engaging each other in aerial combat over the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway. The evil minions of the Dark Lord were hunting for baby blackbirds in nests down in the cattails and the adult blackbirds were fighting them off.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

The next stop was the hairy woodpecker burrow at Pine Ridge Park, where it appeared the female juvie had already fledged. The male juvie looked as though he was going to climb out of the hole each time a parent brought him food.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

Terry captured the exact moment the male juvie left the burrow. I got distracted by a nearby flicker and missed it, but got photos of some of his first steps. The male juvie is the bird on the left.
09.JPG

10.JPG

The Emergence

Great shots, Bill. Here's the shot of the fledgling squeezing out of the nest hole.

Attachments

• 5-17-2013 baby male hairy fledging_7576red.JPG
    5-17-2013 baby male hairy fledging_7576red.JPG
    678.5 KB · Views: 286
From Saturday (5/18) at the marsh.

The only time you can get a clear shot of a marsh wren is in the spring when they perch on top of a cattail for a few minutes to curse you.
02.JPG

05.JPG

08.JPG

After cursing you out, they moon you, then drop down into the cattails to hide.
10.JPG

12.JPG

Update: Sunday I ran into one of the regular birders of the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle. He too had seen this particular marsh wren and thought it might be a recent fledgling due to the downy appearance of its feathers.

Last edited:
Sunday (5/19) I photographed two house sparrows doing their best to keep Olympic Beach free of litter.

male
01.JPG

female
02.JPG

Later on I caught what I believe to be a western wood pewee at the marsh. It is in the flycatcher family.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Monday (5/20) afternoon I went to the fish hatchery to look for colorful birds like warblers and tanagers.

I found an orange-crowned warbler hunting for bugs in the trees at the entrance to the hatchery grounds.
01.JPG

It would occasionally display its namesake orange crown.
02.JPG

Its constant calling helped me track it.
03.JPG

After that, I photographed one of resident Anna's hummers which guards the Pt. Edwards walkway. Like a traffic signal, I must come to a complete stop when he flashes red.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday (5/22) Terry and I walked the pt. Edwards walkway hoping to find some warblers. The warblers were no-shows, but we found other interesting birds.

The most photogenic birds were the male red-winged blackbirds, which were chasing almost anything which flew near the pond.
01.JPG

Other birds included a male American goldfinch,
02.JPG

a cedar waxwing,
03.JPG

and a juvie male house finch.
04.JPG

That evening my son and I resumed the owl hunt at Yost Park. It was one of the few times we have struck out. From the frantic distress calls of a robin I knew that at one point I was probably right underneath the owl, but it was getting dark and I could not see it.

I did get a photo of what I believe is a Swainson's thrush. It was pretty dark when I snapped the photo with no flash.
05.JPG

Saturday (5/25) an evil minion of the Dark Lord and a pair of winged beach rats were going at it on the roof of one of the buildings in Harbor Square on the north side of the marsh.

I don't know if the crow was raiding the gull's nest or vice versa, but they were making a lot of noise in the process.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Continued on next page.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back