Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

While Terry and I have documented the Pt. Edwards pair sitting on their nest, we have yet to see or hear signs of eaglets. Due to the upward angle we view the nest, I doubt we will see any eaglets in their downy stage. We did not spot last year's eaglets until 5-26-13 and by then they were out of their downy stage and were developing adult feathers.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showt...ds-Eaglet-2013

This year I am keeping a closer eye now that we know the pair is nest sitting. Looking back at photos of last year's eaglets, there may very well be recently hatched babies in the nest as I type.

Last edited:
Late Sunday (5/4) afternoon I was owl hunting in Yost Park when I noticed some movement on a branch directly below one of the owls I was photographing. I believe it is a Pacific slope flycatcher.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday (5/7) I attempted to photograph some migratory shorebirds (sandpipers and semipalmated plovers) at the marsh with my long lens combo. It was a sunny day and although the sun was behind me, the photos were horrible due to the heat waves coming off the mud.

Thursday (5/8) was overcast, so I gave it another try. The lighting was good, but no shorebirds were to be found other than the resident killdeer. I did not want to waste the time and effort of setting up the long lens combo (5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted), so I took some photos of two geese and their babies as it started to sprinkle.
01.JPG

02.JPG

By the time we got to the fishing pier, the sprinkles had turned to real rain. We found a shelter where I snapped some fairly close shots of one of the marbled murrelets which has been hanging out off the fishing pier.
03.JPG

04.JPG

On the way back to the car I got some shots of a pelagic cormorant in breeding plumage eating a fish inside the marina.
05.JPG

Saturday (5/10/14) I led a bird count at the marsh for International Migratory Bird Day. The only birds we saw in migration were four western sandpipers. The heat waves off the mud made for difficult photography with the 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x TC.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

A pair of Canada geese had ten young goslings. I don't think Canadian honkers count as migratory birds anymore as they tend to remain in the area year round.
05.JPG

Considering those distances, they were as good as one could hope for, Bill. I like that last shot with the goslings!

Considering those distances, they were as good as one could hope for, Bill. I like that last shot with the goslings!

Here's a few shots from your walk last year....I should have been there this year to document the event! :)

Bills bird walk Edmonds Marsh10.JPG

Bills bird walk Edmonds Marsh13.JPG

Bills bird walk Edmonds Marsh15.JPG

Bills bird walk Edmonds Marsh8.JPG

Janine and I were at the marsh Monday (5/12/14). We no sooner finished talking about how a year earlier we had seen a coyote from this same, exact location when we spotted one. I checked my old photos, and we had seen the coyote on 5/4/13.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?7934-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA/page22

I suspect the coyote is on the hunt for the baby geese whose photos I have posted earlier. Looking at the coyote's tail, I think it is the same one with the hairless tail that I photographed last year.
5DIII + 100-400L + 1.4x TC, handheld.
01.JPG

There was no advantage to using my 500L telephoto lens, as the heat waves rising off the mudflats made for poor photos. This was especially true when the photos were close cropped. These photos, taken with the 5DIII + 500L + 1.4 TC, tripod mounted, are minimally cropped to avoid the distortion caused by the heat waves.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
While my son was taking tennis lessons, I checked the osprey nest at the Meadowdale softball complex. The male flew by the nest, but did not land. I got some shots of the female making a brief trip to the nest and taking off again. The bottom line to this behavior is that there are not yet any eggs in the nest.

01.JPG

I always wonder if she recognizes/remembers me from the past several years.
02.JPG

03.JPG

I know this is the female from the brown spotted "necklace" across her breast.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday evening (5/14/14) my son and I explored Lynndale Park in nearby Lynnwood prior to his tennis class there.

Native Douglas's squirrel
01.JPG

02.JPG

Adult Pacific wren and fledgling. I have very few photos of this fairly common resident of our area.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
Once my son's tennis lessons started I went over to the Meadowdale softball complex to check on the osprey. Both of them were perched on the nest.
04.JPG

Female (right) staring at me.
05.JPG

The male flew off, leaving the female alone.
07.JPG

She eventually settled down on the nest. Judging by the lack of bird poop on the blackberry bushes beneath the nest, they have not been spending much time on it.
08.JPG

I finally go a shot of the California quail that I heard last year but had never seen.
06.JPG

Last edited:
Monday (5/19/14) evening I visited two local parks while my son was at tennis class.

A song sparrow fledgling at Lynndale Park in Lynnwood.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Later I visited Southwest County Park in Edmonds on Olympic View Dr. west of Perrinville. I heard the sound of claws climbing a tree which sounded too loud for a squirrel.
001.JPG

We once had a raccoon family living in a Doug fir in our backyard, but I have not seen many in town recently.
002.JPG

While raccoons may be cute, you should look but not touch.
003.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back