Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Wow, that is a surprise. I always think of these as being mostly on the other side of the Cascades.

Poor little guy. And one is quite a bit inside of his ear. :(
I hope they drop off soon.

Wow, that is a surprise. I always think of these as being mostly on the other side of the Cascades.

I sent my photos of the tick infested squirrel to some people I know at the Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife (DFW). One of them replied and said that ticks are fairly common in this area. Here is a link to a CDC website showing the distribution of ticks in the US.
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/geographic_distribution.html

Here is what the website has to say about our "local" tick:

The western blacklegged tick (Ixodes pacificus) can transmit the organisms responsible for causing anaplasmosis and Lyme disease in humans. Wild rodents and other mammals are likely reservoirs of these pathogens. This tick is distributed along the Pacific coast of the United States. Larvae and nymphs feed on birds and small rodents, while adult ticks feed on deer and other mammals. Both adult and nymphal ticks are known to transmit disease to humans.

Last edited:
Thursday (4/14/14) I saw my first of the year Wilson's snipe at the Edmonds marsh. It was standing in the circular mud flat fairly close to the board walk betwen the #2 and #1 viewing platforms. Terry's wife found a second one off the #1 platform, but it was not in a place where we could easily photograph it.

These shots were all taken with my 7D + 4.0/500L + 1.4 teleconverter.

Uncroppped.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Cropped.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Strange how our shots seem to look so similar, Bill :)

Thanks for the heads up - best viewing of the snipes I have seen!

Same setup as Bill's.....and cropped

4-14-2014 Wilson's Snipe at the Marsh_2942c2.JPG

Last edited:
I like to toss peanuts off my back deck for the squirrels, crows, and Steller's jays.

The jays have mastered a technique of stuffing one peanut down their throat so they can carry a second peanut in their bill. Then they fly off to stash both peanuts.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Their corvid cousins have not learned this technique. The braver of the evil minions of the Dark Lord will swoop down while I am still standing on the deck and peck apart a single peanut. The more timid ones will wait until I go back into the house before landing in the backyard to look for peanuts. They will fly away with only a single peanut in their bills.
03.JPG

04.JPG

The jays will hide the peanuts in the boughs of my Doug firs.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Later that morning I visited the marsh.

Song sparrow.
01.JPG

A male house finch was standing in for the red cross-bills, which were a no-show this winter and spring.
02.JPG

Some violet-green swallows flying over the marsh were my first of the year swallows.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

some great snipe shots, too... i haven't seen any yet this year, though to be honest, i haven't really been searching for them. might have to have a look next time i'm out... ;)

some great snipe shots, too... i haven't seen any yet this year, though to be honest, i haven't really been searching for them... ;)

You know that by posting pictures of an actual snipe, you're ruining a long cherished childhood prank, right? I mean who knew they really exist!

The jays have mastered a technique of stuffing one peanut down their throat so they can carry a second peanut in their bill. Then they fly off to stash both peanuts.

Yes, they love peanuts and I've seen them try that trick often. I even had one Jay who would imitate the sound of a Hawk, wait for the feeder to clear, and then grab the best seed. I noticed one day when I saw him perched on the feeder and heard the noise. All the rest of the birds flew, but he stayed there. I'm thinking "You're about to get eaten!" when I hear the noise again, and see his beak and head moving in sync. Watching closely, I realized he was making the noise.

Pretty smart cookie. But I always wondered what happened when he makes the noise and one of our resident Red Tails is nearby. "You talking to me?"

My son and I were at the marina Wednesday (4/16/14) afternoon when a large flock of Brant flew south.
01.JPG

The gulls began to cry as well. Both are signals to immediately look up and scan the skies for an eagle passing overhead.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

No one believed me when I said the horned grebes were trying to warn us of the upcoming zombie apocalypse until it was too late. :eek:
01.JPG

02.JPG

The grebes dived for cover before the zombies attacked.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Some shots from 4-10-14 of the female flicker excavating her burrow at the fish hatchery.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

You need a high shutter speed to freeze the action and a small aperature opening to get everything in focus. Both are difficult with our usual lousy light, especially in the shade.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back