Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

A very low tide Saturday (4/19/14) prompted my son and me to walk the beach south from Marina Park towards Pt. Wells in search of eagles. The eagles take advantage of the extreme low tides by hunting for fish and crabs trapped in the tidal pools.

To my suprise we saw no eagles, but a few killdeer made an appearance.
01.JPG

A kingfisher was perched on the piling where we usually see the Pt. Wells eagles.
02.JPG

I don't know how a gull can eat a starfish without choking, but I have seen many of them do it.
03.JPG
It was the day before Easter and these beach combers appeared to be walking on water.
03.JPG

The piling on the left is where the Pt. Edwards eagles usually perch at Marina Park. Due to the low tide, it was barely in the water.
04.JPG

Last edited:
From Sunset Avenue I have seen several eagles out on the Shell Creek spit during this week of low tides. Here is a juvie.
04.JPG

05.JPG

The Brant continue to gather along the beaches in Edmonds. One day they will all vanish as they continue their migration north.
06.JPG

A sub adult was at the Shell Creek spit, then flew south very low over Second Ave., a block to my east. It looks like the same bird I have been photographing around town this winter and spring. As a sub adult, I doubt it has a regular territory staked out like our resident breeding pairs.
07.JPG

08.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like you had a nice walk, Bill. Fun to see the killdeer. Hope you are having a pleasant Easter!

Monday (4-21-14) I went down to the marsh upon reading a report on Tweeters of the presence of sandpipers.

A local birder identified these as western sandpipers based on their black legs.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Hanging put with the flock was a single, larger sandpiper. The birder identified it as a dunlin based upon its longer bill and chunky body.
03.JPG

McInroe, the male Anna's hummer that guards the #3 viewing platform, turns red with rage when he is not the center of attention.
04.JPG

05.JPG

After the marsh, we went over to the marina. The birder identified a Pacific loon transitioning into mating plumage was off the fishing pier.
06.JPG

07.JPG

A pair of marbled murrelets were in the water between the marina and fishing pier.
08.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday (4/22/14) was not as interesting as Monday.

A puffed up white crowned sparrow emerged from under a bush at the marina.
01.JPG

A pigeon guillemot was inside the marina near the fuel dock, which enabled me to get some rare water level shots.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday (4/23) there were three horned grebes in breeding plumage off Olympic Beach.

The one with the brightest plumage was swimming solo.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Two were swimming together.
03.JPG

One was not yet in full plumage.
04.JPG

Here's a couple of the same grebes taken with the 7D and 500mm f4L + 1.4x tele-extender, thanks to Daren for carrying the lens and camera!!

4-23-2014 horned grebe in full breeding plumage 3227.JPG

4-23-2014 horned grebe in full breeding plumage 3200.JPG

4-23-2014 horned grebe almost in full breeding plumage 3211.JPG

4-23-2014 horned grebe almost in full breeding plumage 3208.JPG

We are off to the Gray's Harbor Shorebird Festival in the AM (Thursday). Wonder if it will be basically a Moisture Festival :)...

Even evil minions of the Dark Lord can have affectionate moments, as witnessed by two of them perched on the fence of the outdoor tennis courts next to the marsh Thursday (4/24/14) morning. Need I say that the morning light was horrible?

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Sunday evening I got my first of the year (FOY in birder parlance) shot of a Caspian tern off Sunset Ave. The Caspian tern is one of my favorite birds, both for its looks and its providing many summer photo ops once the winter migrants have left town and our local eagles have taken off to wherever they spend mid August through mid October.

As (bad) luck would have it, the tern flew by while I was setting up for a train shot with my 7D + 24-105L medium range zoom. The tern was close enough that I still got a halfway decent shot.
01.JPG

A moment later a local juvie bald eagle flew by. I ran to get my 5DIII + 100-400L + 1.4x teleconverter which I had placed on a nearby bench. Although it flew fairly close to me, it was horribly backlit.
001.JPG

002.JPG

I managed to retrieve the 7D in time to get shots of the train, a five car Sounder Mariners special heading back to Everett from Seattle. All aboard must have been very happy as the Mariners came from behind to beat the Texas Rangers.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
Monday (4/28/14) my son and I walked the beach north from Brackett's Landing. The Brant continue to hang out and eat eel grass.
01.JPG

They will fly between different parts of Brackett's Landing and between Brackett's Landing and Marina Beach.
02.JPG

03.JPG

A flock of what we believed were least sandpipers were at the marsh at sunset.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Tuesday (4/29/14) was sunny and the water in Puget Sound was quite calm. These three (unusual?) conditions combined to make it easy to track a pigeon guillemot underwater as it dove near the fishing pier.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Bill, I think you need to invest in some scuba gear and a waterproof housing for your 5Diii - image what great shots you could get then!

Wednesday (4/30) my son and I hit the usual spots in nearby Lynnwood. First stop was Scriber Lake, where we caught a Bewick's wren singing up a storm. The Bewick's wren is very loud for its size and we could hear this bird from across the lake.
01.JPG

Next stop was Mini Park, where several waterfowl were swimming in Sprague Pond. A beautiful male wood duck was in the pond when we pulled up, but it disappeared before I got out of the car. I did catch the female.
02.JPG

Sprague pond is the only local place where I stand a good shot at seeing ring-necked ducks.
03.JPG

Back in Edmonds, I caught three Eurasian collard doves. The next door neighbor told me that the doves had been hanging around house for several days. According to Sibley's, it is an introduced species spreading throughout the US.

Two were on the roof.
04.JPG

And one was in the grass. Unlike the two on the roof, it had black spots on its its feathers and no black ring on the back of its neck. Juvenile???
Correction: A birder viewing my photos has identified this as a mourning dove.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday (5/1) my son and I went to the fish hatchery where the resident male northern flicker was hunting for ants.
01.JPG

The red malar + red chevron on the back of its neck reveal it to be a red/yellow-shafted hybrid.
02.JPG

He flew back to his burrow and perched for a few minutes. I just missed a shot of the female flying out of the burrow past him.
03.JPG

After she left, he went inside.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back