Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

More birds off the fishing pier.

Male common (?) golden eye.
06.JPG

A sharp-eyed birder with a good spotting scope pointed out two white-winged scoters in flight out in the Sound. They are not particularly common here.
07.JPG

I ran into Young Dave at the pier. After the pier we went to the marsh, where I spotted three Wilson's snipes up in the grass out of the high water.

Can you see them?
08.JPG

Here is some help.
09.JPG

One of Wesley's friends perched very close to us on the barbed wire. At one point three of them were chasing each other.
10.JPG

Last edited:
Late afternoon I returned to the fishing pier.

Male red-breasted merganser.
11.JPG

A horned grebe had a shrimp dinner.
12.JPG

13.JPG

Two female golden eye were looking for mussels imbedded in barnacles inside the marina.
14.JPG

15.JPG

I ran into Young Dave at the pier. After the pier we went to the marsh, where I spotted three Wilson's snipes up in the grass out of the high water.

Can you see them?

there 4 in the original shot, counting the one off to the left out of your crop... ;) i like the Barrow's in flight - nicely done!

there 4 in the original shot, counting the one off to the left out of your crop... ;)

There were only three snipes. The one on the left kept moving closer to the one in the center. Here are two more shots taken when the snipe on the left was farther away from the one on the center.

08a.JPG

08b.JPG

I am surprised I saw all three. I even saw them before Young Dave did, and we call him the Snipe Whisperer for his ability to spot them.

This is a close crop of the snipe in the center, which was the one most visible. Due to their highly effective camouflage, snipes are nearly impossible to spot without binos or a telephoto lens. The one in the middle drew the attention of the naked eye only when the sun reflected off its bill.

09a.JPG

Last edited:
ah, that explains it! they certainly are hard to spot - their camouflage is so perfect they're pretty much invisible unless they move!

Two black scoters came in for a landing off Sunset Ave. Tuesday (12/16/14).
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

One of the snipe hung out among the green-winged teals at the marsh.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Bad weather and a bad knee kept me inside all weekend. Here are some shots from Friday (12/19) when it was relatively sunny.

A Brandt's cormorant was diving off the fishing pier.
01.JPG

It came up with something that looked like a needle fish.
02.JPG

Whatever it was, the cormorant dropped it.
03.JPG

This attracted the attention of a gull, which snatched it up and flew off.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Our most common winter resident cormorants are the double-crested cormorant (orange billl) and the pelagic cormorant (black bill & head). I have read that the Brandt's cormorant (black & white bill + white spot below the eye) is not common for Edmonds. If anyone has more info, please post up here.

Last edited:
The Pacific loon continues to stick around. I hopes it stays into spring after it has morphed into its spectacular breeding plumage.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Rhinoceros auklets have been swimming very close to the pier.
03.JPG

Three of them, hyphenated by a Bonaparte's gull, were between the fishing pier and the ferry dock.
04.JPG

Only nine days left in 2014. I'll start a new thread for 2015 on New Years Day.

Based on my photos, you regular viewers probably know my favorite local wildlife. What are your favorites? What would you like to see more photos of in the year ahead? Let me know and I'll try to photograph them in 2015.

Last edited:
Wesley, the male Anna's hummer who guards the #1 viewing platform of the marsh, was in fine form the day after Christmas (12/26).

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Only one more day left for this thread, then it will be time to start a new one for 2015.

A flock of bushtits hit the pine trees behind the #1 viewing platform at the marsh. I wish they had been cross-bills instead.
01.JPG

02.JPG

I did not see any snipes, but I did see one dunlin out on the frozen marsh along with the resident killdeer.
03.JPG

A great blue heron landed in a tree by Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh.
04.JPG

My nemesis bird, the ruby-crowned kinglet, was in the same pine tree as the bushtits.
05.JPG

Not sure if I'm posting on the right thread, hard to tell on my phone... Here's the barred owl at Pine Ridge Park winkin' at me;)
ba865a9bfb036ba1bbc50d04b2dd8884.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back