Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

A few Wesley shots from the past week:) again posting from phone so not sure how they will look.:))

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416972355144.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416972355144.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 272
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416972368300.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416972368300.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 267
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416972376239.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416972376239.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 266
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416972383956.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416972383956.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 264
Thought this was a cool looking pigeon... Edmonds fishing pier

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416972641493.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416972641493.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 269
I have seen that pigeon on the fishing pier. It has disguised itself as an osprey to keep from being eaten by one of the Pt. Edwards eagles.

Wednesday afternoon (11/26) I went down to the fishing pier today to look for the snowy owl. I did not find it, but the Pacific loon swam fairly close to the pier.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

A late afternoon post on Tweeters reported that the owl had been farther south on the marina breakwater and was only visible from the fuel dock.

The snowy owl at the Edmonds marina spends the daylight hours sitting on the breakwater. Although it is exciting to see, it is not necessarily the most exciting thing to photograph. If one loses interest in the owl, there are other birds in the vicinity of the pier worth photographing, as evidenced by these Thanksgiving Day birds which were not turkeys.

A rhinocerous auklet was diving fairly close to the pier. You can tell it is ready to dive when it gets very low to the water and opens its mouth for a deep breath.
01.JPG

Periodically the auklet will flap its wings, presumably to shake off water.
02.JPG

I could have used the 500L telephoto + teleconverter for this shot as these two pigeon Guillemots in non-breeding plumage were a ways out.
03.JPG

The Pacific loon continues to fish below the pier. Read more about the loon here: http://myedmondsnews.com/2014/11/bird-lore-pacific-loon/
04.JPG

Pelagic cormorant.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Saturday's (11/29/14) search for the snowy owl at the marina turned out somewhat differently than expected. You can read about that here:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?11366-Big-Waves-11-29-14

I did not think any birds would brave the rough water, but there were a few cormorants between the marina and the ferry dock.
01.JPG

It was comical to watch them try to fly, as they could barely make any headway against the wind.
02.JPG

A pair of female red-breasted mergansers were in the water as well, but took off as I was photographing them.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

A flock of gulls were soaring above Olympic Beach.
06.JPG

These cormorants sought shelter inside the marina.
07.JPG

This guy saw no need for shelter and was swimming off Marina Beach.
08.JPG

Backing off the zoom.
09.JPG

I told my son, "He is on his own if he runs into trouble."
10.JPG

There has been little or no hummingbird activity at the feeders on my back deck this summer and fall until the first cold snap in early November. With the recent cold snap, Dexter, the resident male Anna's hummingbird, has taken a renewed interest in the feeders. I bring them in at night to keep them from freezing and he is at the feeders within a minute of my hanging them back up the following morning.

Sunday (11/30) I positioned myself on the far corner of my deck to take some photos of Dexter with the 5DIII + 100-400L zoom.
01.JPG

When not feeding, Dexter will hide in the shrubs in the backyard where he can keep watch over the feeders.
02.JPG

He chased off another male Anna's, but I was not quick enough to photograph the skirmish.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

The only way to get good shots of hummer action at my feeders is to spend the day on the back deck setting up my tripod and camera with a cable shutter release.

Last edited:
Wednesday (12/3) turned out to be our last day of cold, clear weather. I took advantage of the sunshine to make the usual rounds.

First stop was the marsh, where a yellow-rumped warbler and ruby-crowned kinglet were in the trees by the walkway. A photo of the kinglet escaped me (as usual), but I got one of the warbler.
01.JPG

Five hooded mergansers (two females and three males) were floating in Willow Creek, which forms the south border of the marsh. I took shots from the #3 viewing platform with the 5DIII + 100-400L zoom. I was too lazy to walk back to the car to get the 500L and tripod.
02.JPG

Next stop was the fish hatchery, where I got some ID photos of a Townsend's warbler.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Later that afternoon my son and I went to the fishing pier, where we ran into Rocky.

Female red-breasted mergansers.
05.JPG

Several pigeon Guillemots in non-breeding plumage were in the area. Three were far off the pier....
06.JPG

while one was close by.
07.JPG

The Pacific loon was back after Saturday's big storm.
08.JPG

Pelagic cormorant.
09.JPG

Last edited:
From the fishing pier we relocated to Brackett's Landing. A flock of American wigeons and Bonaparte's(?) gulls were near the beach on the north side of the levee.

10.JPG

Among the American wigeons were two Eurasian wigeons, recognizable by their red heads.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

Our usual winter gloom & doom returned Thursday (12/4). In some ways it is easier to take photos under overcast skies, as the lighting is consistent.

My nemesis bird, the ruby-crowned kinglet, was teasing me at the fish hatchery.
01.JPG

A bald eagle was perched in the tree near the corner of Sunset Ave. and Edmonds St. Eagles will show up on this tree, which is fairly low to the street, about once a year.
02.JPG

My son Daren and I hit the marina at high tide. I took a photo of Daren standing by one of the dock supports. During summer's super low tides, the support's white cap will be about ten feet above his head.
03.JPG

I have not seen the snowy owl since the big storm. I did see something white on the breakwater, which turned out to be a seal napping on the marina side of the breakwater.
04.JPG

A rhinocerous auklet is ready to dive when its is horizontal and low in the water with its mouth open for a final deep breath
05.JPG

Last edited:
The Pacific loon and a common murre were off the fishing pier. The close proximity of the birds allowed me to take some good photos of them washing themselves.

Common murre
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

Pacific loon
09.JPG

Black scoters continue to hang out off Sunset Ave.
10.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back