Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Some Wednesday (11/5) heron action from the marsh.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Thursday (11/6/14) I was photographing birds from the fishing pier. The wind and waves picked up and at times it felt like the wind was going to knock me over.

Rhinocerous auklet.
01.JPG

Pigeon Guillemot in transition plumage. Their black breeding plumage is more commonly recognized.
02.JPG

Common murre.
03.JPG

Western grebe.
04.JPG

Last edited:
Friday (11/7) was very sunny and in contrast to the day before, windless. Wesley and two of his hummer buddies were chasing each other around the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. Here are photos of one of them hunting bugs. A shutter speed of 1/2000 was not fast enough to completely freeze the wings.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Although I have lived in Edmonds over twenty years, I can drive around town all day and not see anyone I know. Friday was the exception as I ran into seven bird watchers/photographers I know at the marsh. I attribute that to Friday being the first nice day of the week.

Last edited:
Another superb series, Bill.

The past couple of weeks have been just horrendous weather-wise here in Portland, the next few days look promising. I really need to get out and explore!

Chad

Even though Saturday was nice and sunny, I spent most of it at Kenmore Camera's annual photo expo in Lynnwood. Here are some photos from Friday of Bonaparte's gulls, one of my favorites, off the fishing pier in Edmonds. The gulls are such a bright white that I had to shoot at -1 exposure compensation to keep from blowing them out.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
They seemed extra available for photos when we were there too. Nice shots, Bill

Here's one that was very near the shore at the concrete ramp next to the pier. I tried the 'Artie Morris' thing :)

11-8-2014 bonapartes gull edmonds_0618.JPG

Rain and the Seahawks game kept me indoors Sunday (11/9), but I managed to take a few photos from my back deck.

Several red-breasted nuthatches were in my back yard. They were making quite a racket with their distinctive sounds.
01.JPG

Five Steller's jays live in the vicinity and will come to my back deck for peanuts. I suspect they are all members of one family.
04.JPG

05.JPG

The jays can fly away with two peanuts at a time by swallowing the first one. I have seen only one crow use this technique, which I suspect it learned from the jays.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Monday (11/10) I tarried at Lake Ballinger in nearby Mountlake Terrace while my son was playing tennis.

Western grebes continue to hang out at the lake. While I was there two were visible by looking west from the fishing dock.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

A red-tailed hawk flew into a nearby tree where it drew the attention of a flock of crows.
04.JPG

The resident bald eagle pair was on patrol over the park.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Two backyard birds for Veterans' Day (11/11).

The Bewick's wren is a relentless hunter of backyard spiders and other bugs.
01.JPG

I took a series of photos of one of the jays in the morning sun.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I went down to the marsh at sunset. It was cold and windy, which reminded me of that famous scene from Derzu Uzala.
06.JPG

The low angle of the sun this time of year necessitates careful exposure compensation to prevent the herons' light colors from being completely blown out.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
Bill, you, like most of the photographers on this site keep improving. When you started posting here I was hooked, you were taking some great pics, now it seems over the past several months you have jumped up a couple of notches in your fine photography. What are you doing differently??? Seems like you may have added something to your formula.

Chad

Last edited:
Bill, you, like most of the photographers on this site keep improving. When you started posting here I was hooked, you were taking some great pics, now it seems over the past several months you have jumped up a couple of notches in your fine photography. What are you doing differently??? Seems like you may have added something to your formula.
Chad

Thanks. Although I did not use it for any of Tuesday's photos, I acquired a Canon 500L telephoto lens to help with the long distance shots. I try to pay close attention to lighting and the use of exposure compensation to reproduce on the computer screen what my eyes see in the field.

I am an autumn and winter person, so perhaps I am more inspired to take photos in those seasons than in spring and summer. There are many more interesting birds in our area in the autumn, winter, and spring than in the summer

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon (11/19) I ran into Janine at the marsh. Janine had spotted the resident coyote earlier in the week and saw it again as we were standing at the #2 viewing platform. Taken with the 7D + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted.

The coyote made a run at a bird in the grass.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

The coyote disappeared behind some plants. We walked east of the #3 viewing platform for some closer views.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The coyote disappeared into the cattails at the south side of the marsh. We walked to the #1 viewing platform where we found a dunlin and snipe in the mudflat closest to the viewing platform.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

The only bird watching I did Sunday was in front of the TV as the Seahawks and Cardinals did battle. Saturday's (11/22) Cougar game started early, so I got in a short photo session at the fishing pier before sunset.

A small group of female goldeneye, a winter resident, was below the pier.
01.JPG

I had to use negative exposure compensation on individual birds due to the low, bright sunlight.
02.JPG

Western grebe. I have not seen many in Edmonds in past winters.
03.JPG

The surf scoters are becoming accustomed to humans and swim under the fishing pier to look for mussels imbedded in barnacles. Earlier a friend of mine had spotted a female white-winged scoter. It may have been in this group.
04.JPG

A Pacific loon continues to hang out off the fishing pier. Another bird that I have not seen spend significant time in Edmonds in past winters.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back