Search results

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. landscapes&birds

San Juan Island stars

I was not expecting to see this many stars from San Juan Island, but once I went outside and saw how many stars there were I ran back inside to get my camera and tripod! This is a composite of 174 pictures to get the star trails (equivalent to leaving the shutter open for about an hour and a...
  2. landscapes&birds

Whalecome to the pod, L-122

Whalecome to the pod, L122! On Monday I went whale watching out of San Juan Island, and had no idea just how special this day would be. We saw L122, a new calf belonging to the L-pod of our endangered Southern Resident orcas that was seen for the very first time today. According to the Center...
  3. landscapes&birds

What is this

I found this bird while kayaking near Lake Washington this evening. Any ideas what it might be?
  4. landscapes&birds

Pied-billed grebe chick

It's good to be back after a bit of a break, hopefully I'll be more active after finals are over next week! This afternoon I saw a pied-billed grebe with it's chick. These birds are known to ride on their parents' backs when they're young, but I think this one's outgrown that. Wishing you the...
  5. landscapes&birds

Red-breasted sapsucker

I found the red-breasted sapsuckers at their nest today at Juanita Bay Park. I initially had the wrong tree, so thank you Rocky for the tip, otherwise I probably would have been waiting for a while at the wrong tree! There's also a second pair working on another nest on the snag to the right of...
  6. landscapes&birds

Tulips and snow geese

Today there were almost more people photographing these swans than there were at the tulip festival! By next week the tulips should be in full bloom. What a great day in the Skagit valley!
  7. landscapes&birds

Common goldeneye courtship

A common goldeneye practicing his courtship display on Lake Washington.
  8. landscapes&birds

Hooded Merganser

This hooded merganser swam within 15 feet of the platform at Juanita Bay park yesterday afternoon, and presented some wonderful photo opportunities. They're always a treat to see!
  9. landscapes&birds

Shorebird Identification - Semipalmated Sandpiper?

I had a wonderful morning birding on Jetty Island today. I am new to shorebirds, and looking through my bird guide I think this is a semipalmated sandpiper, but would like confirmation. Thanks!
  10. landscapes&birds

heron vs eagle

Today I watched a great blue heron get attacked by red-winged blackbirds for over an hour at Juanita Bay Park. The heron finally got a break from the attacks, and caught itself a fish to eat. Little did the heron know, that a bald eagle was perched on a tree above it, just waiting to steal its...
  11. landscapes&birds

Nisqually Owls

It was a windy and very wet weekend at Nisqually NWR, but I still got some good views of the three great horned owlets and an adult great horned owl (who blended in with the trees quite well). Here's a photo of one of the owlets.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back