Edmonds Eagles 2014/15

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles landed on one of the logs anchored at the underwater dive park Wednesday (5/20) morning.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

I later caught both eagles at the marsh after the sun broke through, but heat waves radiating off the mudflats made good photos impossible.

Good shots, Bill, especially the one at the top.

I had just parked my car on Sunset Ave. when I heard the familiar cry the gulls make when they spot an eagle. I looked in my side view mirror and saw an eagle fast approaching with a gull and crow in tow. The eagle was quite close, so I backed off to the 100mm end of my 100-400L II zoom (+ 1.4x III teleconverter) to make sure the initial shots would be in focus. The first shot of this series was one where I had zoomed in with the 400mm end of the lens.

Some eagle shots from Tuesday (5/26).

One of Pt. Edwards eagles took off from its usual perch near the ferry and flew far out over the Sound. The eagle made a dive as though it were going for a fish, but pulled out and continued flying towards Whidbey Island. I was shooting handheld with the 5DIII + 100-400L II zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter. I was surprised that the camera held focus on the eagle from such a distance.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

The Hutt Park eagle continues to sit on her nest. I could not tell if any eggs have hatched.
04.JPG

The male was perched in a sentry tree off Olympic View Dr.
05.JPG

Wednesday (6/3) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was watching trains go by its perch on the west end of the marsh.

5:00pm Seattle-Everett Sounder.
01.JPG

Seattle-Chicago Empire Builder (Amtrak train #8).
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Thursday (6/4) I checked on the Hutt Park eagles.

The female was perched on a branch near the nest.
01.JPG

No sign of hatchlings in the nest.
02.JPG

The male was perched on a nearby sentry tree.
03.JPG

I think the Pt. Edwards pair of bald eagles are enjoying this year's break from child rearing. They like to bath in Willow Creek at the south side of the marsh. A good view can be had from the #3 viewing platform, where I caught this one Saturday (6/6) afternoon.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

I was surprised the photos came out as well as they did, as it was very sunny and warm with heat waves rising from the mud flats. As is usual with eagle shots on a sunny day, I shot at -1 exposure compensation to avoid over exposing its white head and tail feathers. Although you may not initially seen an eagle from the #1 or #2 viewing platforms, the constant cawing of crows from the far side of the marsh will alert you to its presence.

Last edited:
Tuesday evening (6/9) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles sneaked up on me from behind while I was at the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. The eagle and its crow-tourage appeared to be doing an avian ballet.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

The eagle landed just behind the lifeboat of the marine training school.
05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
The eagle took off and landed on one of the telephone poles beside the railroad tracks at the west end of the marsh. I had been photographing the action handheld with my 7D + 100-400L zoom.
06.JPG

After it landed, I switched to my 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod. The low sun and semi-back lighting created some interesting effects.
07.JPG

08.JPG

The eagle appeared to be eating crow, quite literally. I suspect it was one of the fledglings from the trees behind the boardwalk near the viewing platform. The past week I had seen a fledgling and its parents around the marine training school equipment where the eagle landed.
09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
The eagle continued to eat while being strafed by angry gulls and avenging crows.
11.JPG

12.JPG

It finally had enough harassment and flew its prey to nearby Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh.
13.JPG

My attention to the eagle was diverted to the resident coyote, which was patrolling the marsh east of the crow. Between the coyote and the eagle, the crows were making a lot of noise. You can see more photos of the coyote in the Wildlife of Edmonds thread.
14.JPG

The eagle eventually took off and headed south with two crows in hot pursuit.
15.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday evening (6/17) I checked on the nest of the Hutt Park eagles. One of them was snoozing on a branch next to the nest while the other was sitting on the nest. No sight or sounds of any hatchlings.

5DIII + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted
01.JPG

02.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back