Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Labor Day (9/5) afternoon at the marsh. Taken with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. I didn't have time to set up the 500L telephoto and tripod.

When shore birds out in the marsh suddenly take off at once, it is best to look for a predator that might have scared them. Monday's culprit was a juvie Cooper's hawk, possibly the one I recently photographed by the boardwalk.
01.JPG

The killdeer in the upper left corner was one of about a dozen shorebirds that took flight ahead of the hawk.
02.JPG

Cooper's hawks can fly into foliage that is too dense for larger raptors.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Disappearing into the foliage that lines Willow Creek on the far south side of the marsh.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday afternoon (9/13) My son and I paid a visit to the fishing pier, which finally reopened after extensive rebuilding. Heermann's gulls, summer visitors to Puget Sound, will start leaving at the end of the month for their annual migration to Southern California and Mexico. They are one of the few gulls that I can ID.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Glad to hear the pier is finally open again! I'll have to pay a visit one of these days to check it out...

Jerome beat you to it. :D The winter visitors have not yet arrived, so things are still pretty quiet.
Yeah... I stopped by this afternoon, after I got back from the whale-watching trip... not much there, though I did manage a nice sunset shot of the ferry...

Thursday afternoon (9-15-16) at the marsh.

I don't think this Anna's hummer was Wesley even though he perched on Wesley' throne. A crow was in the tree below, which bothered the hummer no end.
01.JPG

I think the crow knew it was being watched.
02.JPG

The hummer made three strafing runs past the crow, which were too fast for me to catch. Here are some take-off shots.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
A small flock of Savannah sparrows were at the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

A flock of about twenty bushtits flew in briefly. Bushtit flocks do not remain in one place for very long.
03.JPG

Male.
04.JPG

Females have spooky yellow eyes.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The few herons at the marsh started flying off towards the marina about 5:30.
01.JPG

02.JPG

One heron has been been perching in the trees next to the walkway on the north side of the marsh.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

While wrapping up Saturday afternoon (9/10) Bird Fest activities at the marsh, I spotted a mystery raptor circling Pt. Edwards while being chased by a smaller black bird. My photos were not good, but I could tell by the shape of its wings and manner of flying that it was not a hawk, eagle, or osprey. My guesses were a harrier or a flacon.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Tuesday afternoon (9/20) I was at the #3 viewing platform of the marsh and spotted a peregrine falcon flying north over the railroad tracks.
001.JPG

002.JPG

Comparing its size and flight to that of the mystery raptor, I believe the mystery raptor was a northern harrier.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure, Bill... the wing shape doesn't look right for a harrier... it's too pointed, and the wing bends backward more than a harrier's normally does... hard to tell from these images, but i'd lean more toward some kind of falcon...

The first day of autumn saw an osprey perched in one of the tall trees on Daley St., just east of 7th Ave. I have previously photographed osprey and eagles in this tree or the one next to it.
01.JPG

Some evil minions of the Dark Lord attempted to harass the osprey, but it paid them no heed. I have seen osprey threaten crows who dared perch too close.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The osprey will soon be leaving our area for their annual migration to Central America.

Sunday afternoon (9/25) the autumn osprey returned to its perch with a fish in tow. I had to tweak the exposure a little due to backlighting at the best photo angle.

Judging by the bee/wasp/hornet circling the bird, this branch must be a regular dining spot of the osprey.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:
I just missed getting a shot of a small baby seal lying on a dock in the Edmonds marina Wednesday morning (9/28). As I was standing above the spot where the seal had been, some large salmon swam beneath me.
01.JPG

A few minutes later two salmon came streaking past at full speed like torpedos. They were pursued by an adult seal, probably the mother of the baby.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Continuing Wednesday's photos at the marina. These were taken from the fishing pier, opened earlier this month.

Double-crested cormorant making a "walking in water" takeoff.
01.JPG

Great blue heron shaking off some old feather lint.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Rhinoceros auklet. There has been a big die-off of this bird north of here this summer.
04.JPG

Heermann's gull.
05.JPG

Thursday morning (9/29) a red-breasted nuthatch was trying to stash a seed in the bark of one of my backyard Doug firs. Taken from my second story back deck.

01.JPG

02.JPG

The birds have been cleaning out my seed feeders since the weather turned autumn-like shortly after Labor Day.

Later that day I made a trip to the fishing pier, where I found large schools of tiny fish that someone said were young perch. The white object is a jellyfish.
01.JPG

A Heermann's gull was swooping low to scoop up the young fish.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The closest I came to getting a scoop shot that was in focus.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
More shots from the fishing pier.

This pigeon appreciated the fact that gulls no longer roost on the concrete breakwater opposite the walkway out to the fishing pier.
01.JPG

A heron posing on the marina side of the rock breakwater.
02.JPG

A cormorant attempted to land on one of the pilings where the eagles like to perch, only to be denied landing rights by another of its species.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back