Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Where's Katy?

From Friday (11/4) afternoon. Can you spot Katy, the marina's resident belted kingfisher?

01.jpg

02.jpg

And why wouldn't a kingfisher use the fishing pier?
03.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday evening (11/5) I caught up with Katy as she was perched on a railroad marker beside the tracks below Sunset Ave. I think it was her last foray before dark.

02.jpg

01.jpg

Catching up on bird photos. Two common murres were off the fishing pier last Friday (11-4-16).

Murres lie flat to the water and open their mouths to take a deep breath before diving.
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Rhinoceros auklets do the same thing, which makes it easier to anticipate snapping photos for a dive shot.
04.jpg

One of my favorite gulls, the Bonaparte's, have been hanging out around the fishing pier.
05.jpg

Last edited:
Tuesday morning (11-8-16) Katy, the marina's resident kingfisher, was hunting for breakfast. I just missed shots of her diving into the water inside the marina.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Katy returned to her new perch under the fishing pier. Hard to photograph her flying from bright sunlight into shadows.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Last edited:
Western grebes continue to hang out off the fishing pier. Here are some shots from Tuesday (11-8-16) when I saw a total of five.
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Closeup.
IMG_0001_1.jpg

Last edited:
Some photos from Wednesday (11-9-16). The birds were not suffering from any Election Day hangovers.

My nemesis, the ruby-crowned kinglet, was taunting me at the marsh.
01.jpg

A snipe was trying its best to hide from me to no avail.
02.jpg

I moved to the fishing pier and got some artsy shots near sunset.

Bonaparte's gull.
03.jpg

Western grebe.
04.jpg

Rhinoceros auklet.
05.jpg

Kingfishers were putting on quite a show at the marina. I counted three or four chasing each other. Their loud chattering makes them easy to spot, but not necessarily easy to photograph.

A male and female were perched on opposite ends of a boat.
01.jpg

female
02.jpg

male
03.jpg

The female flew past the male and the chase was on.
04.jpg

I got several shots of the two birds fighting, but this is the only one that was in focus.
05.jpg

All that chasing burns up energy, so this kingfisher took time to catch a fish dinner.
06.jpg 07.jpg

08.jpg 09.jpg

She finished off the fish rather quickly and sat poised to look for seconds.
10.jpg

Last edited:
I returned to the fishing pier Thursday afternoon (11-10), but very few birds were present out in the water. A heron was at its usual spot inside the marina below the walkway leading out to the pier. I wanted to see how good of a super closeup I could take with my big telephoto package.

7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
01.jpg

5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter (tripod mounted).
02.jpg

Same as above, close cropped.
03.jpg

Local birders have gotten excited over a red phalarope seen off the fishing pier the past few days. I would not have seen it Thursday afternoon (11-17-16) if a birder had not pointed it out to me.
IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

The phalarope is very small, as seen when compared to these gulls.
IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Around sunset two flocks of dunlin flew south past the fishing pier, then swarmed off the south breakwater of the marina.

First flock.

Second flock.

IMG_0005.jpg

The second flock headed back north after they were done swarming.

Last edited:
More birds from Thursday.

Bonaparte's gull.
IMG_0001.jpg

Male surf scoter.
IMG_0002.jpg

Common murres.
IMG_0003.jpg

Goldeneye (my first of the season).
IMG_0004.jpg

Herrmann's gull (surprised one is still here).
IMG_0005.jpg

Friday afternoon (11-18-16) a small flock of Brant were in the Sound off Edmonds. I believe it is the first time I have seen Brant passing through in the fall during their annual migration. I usually see them in the spring, when they spend time at Marina Park and Brackett's Landing feeding on eel grass as they work their way back north. I suspect it is related to the tides. The tides in the fall are too high to expose the eel grass, where the tides in the spring are low enough to expose it.

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
The last morning of November had high winds. I think this drove the herons to the marsh, as I counted 18 by the time I arrived after the winds had subsided. This is the greatest number of herons I have seen at the marsh in a long time. I kept hoping for a flyover by one of the Pt. Edwards eagles to create a heron tornado, but no such luck.

These two photos were taken with the white balance set on automatic.
01.jpg 02.jpg

This photo was taken with the white balance set on overcast, which gave it an autumn look.
03.jpg

We relocated to the fishing pier, which was open as most of the repair work has been finished.

Western grebe.
04.jpg

Bonaparte's gull.
05.jpg

Last edited:
The surf scoters have become more habituated to people and were swimming under the pier to look for mussles embedded in barnacles attached to the supports. The tide was not yet low enough to expose the barnacles and most of the scoters remained away from the pier.
08.jpg

Two had been under the pier, but swam out to rejoin the flock.

Mature male.
06.jpg

Juvie female(?).
07.jpg

A red-necked grebe. They are common winter visitors to Edmonds, but this is the first one I have seen this migratory season.
09.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
A large flock of herons continued to hang out at the marsh Friday morning (12-2-16).
01.jpg

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles flew in from the direction of the ferry dock and scared up the herons.
02.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not have a camera with a wide angle lens in hand, so I failed to record the full visual effect of the heron tornado over the marsh.
03.jpg

The herons began to return after the eagle landed by Willow Creek on the far south side of the marsh.
05.jpg 04.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back