Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Monday (10/14) I met Terry at the marsh while my son Daren was playing tennis. A relatively new birder who I sometimes see at the marsh told us that she had seen two shorebirds with long bills off the #3 viewing platform. I thought she might have seen yellowlegs or dowitchers. We walked over to the viewing platform and found two Wilson's snipes.

I experimented with the white balance settings. "Cloudy" brings out yellow and brown which gives a warm tone that I think evokes an autumn look.
01.JPG

While "sunshine" brings out green which I think will look better in spring and summer.
02.JPG

We ran into another regular marsh photographer who told us she heard a heron in one of the trees which borders the sidewalk by the tennis court, but she could not see the bird from the sidewalk. I walked a little way into the marsh and found two herons in the tree. I had never before seen herons in the trees on the north side of the marsh.
03.JPG

Daren and I returned to the marsh after I had picked him up from tennis, but the tide had come in and the snipes were nowhere to be seen. We ran into yet another regular local bird photographer who told us there was nothing worthwhile at the fishing pier. We went to Yost Park, where we found a very late season Swainson's thrush. According to the local bird book, the thrush should have left last month, but very few thrushes read bird books or calenders.

The thrush was in the shade at the bottom of the ravine in fading light. The shot was taken at 1/250, f/5.6, ISO = 12800.
Edit: One local birder has identified this as a hermit thrush, not a Swainson's thrush. That would be nice, as it would be a "lifer" for me. I'll have to check on it further.
04.JPG

Last edited:
I experimented with the white balance settings. "Cloudy" brings out yellow and brown which gives a warm tone that I think evokes an autumn look.

That did you good on the first pic in the series. I'm going to have to utilize the setting and see what happens. Seems I have a little free time, autumn is nearing it's peak in color and I feel a lucky streak of weather coming on.

Chad

It's fun to play with the white balance settings.

Like Chad, it seems I don't have much time to get out and now that the local refuges are closed, :mad:

It's fun to play with the white balance settings.

Like Chad, it seems I don't have much time to get out and now that the local refuges are closed, :mad:

I am fortunate as I am retired and everywhere within the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle is open and about a five minute drive from my house.
01.JPG

Last edited:
I got some hummer shots at the marsh Thursday afternoon (10/17) after the sun finally broke through. Wesley was busy defending his territory against two other hummers. Look closely and you can see two and three hummers in some of the shots.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last three. Wesley finally gets a break in the action.

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

A note about photographing hummers. It takes a shutter speed of at least 1/2000 to begin to freeze the wings. An ideal aperature setting of at least f/16 is desirable to avoid depth of field problems like you see in some of my shots above, which were taken at 1/2000 and f/8. Due to the light, I sacrificed depth of field for freezing the action.

Last edited:
Bill Spots another one!

Red-breasted Sapsucker at the entrance to the Fish Hatchery grounds. We watched it for some time until it kindly moved to the sunny side of the street :)
October 17 Canon 400mm f5.6L on the 40D

10-17-2013 Red-breasted Sapsucker - Hatchery_1433.JPG

Bill or Terry, Having problems trying to put a positive ID on this bird. I took the photo at the Ridgefield refuge on Thursday. I believe it to be a Sparrow of some kind, an immature maybe?

Any input from the members would be greatly appreciated.
7655615_orig.jpg

Once again, the fog did not lift Friday (10/18) until nearly sunset. My son Daren and I went to Yost Park hoping to find varied thrush and the barred owls, which I have not seen since August.

At the east end of the ravine we saw a pair of hairy woodpeckers.

female
01.JPG

male
02.JPG

A noisy jay and a single "hoot" enabled us to locate the female barred owl perched in a tree near the parking lot. I walked by the tree at least once before I spotted her.
03.JPG

She was probably watching me the entire time I searched for her.
04.JPG

She began grooming herself, which enabled me to check out her talons.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The owl stretched a wing and leg.
06.JPG

The last thing a mouse sees before getting scooped up by an owl.
07.JPG

As the sun got low, sunlight made its way through open spots in the trees. Some of the patches of sunlight shone on the owl.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

The owl eventually flew off. Before we left, a male pileated woodpecker landed nearby. It was getting dark and these shots were all taken at 1/500, f/5.6, ISO = 51200.
11.JPG

It went into a burrow and never came out. I assume it intended to spend the night.
12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

Last year Terry and I photographed a female pileated coming out of this same burrow.

Things were so quiet at the marsh Saturday afternoon (10-19) that I had to resort to photographing the resident herons to stay entertained. Although it was dark, the lack of direct sunlight eliminated some of the lighting problems I usually experience with shots facing south once the sun starts remaining low on the horizon for much of the day.

Coming in for a landing.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

One heron was perched in a tree bordering the sidewalk. I had to walk out into the marsh for this shot.
04.JPG

A different view of an incoming heron.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The perpetual fog continued through Monday (10/21). As I was walking the marsh past the tennis courts, I noticed some bird poop on the walkway. This is a nature's clue that there may be a bird in the branches over head.
01.JPG

The bird was one of the great blue herons that has recently taken to perching in the trees on the north side of the marsh next to the walkway . Last week I took photos of herons perched facing the marsh. Monday a heron was perched overhanging the sidewalk.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Out in the marsh, an evil minion of the Dark Lord was grooming one of its fellow henchbirds.
04.JPG

The gourds were put up two years ago by the local chapter of the Audubon Society to attract purple martins to nest in them. So far the gourds have only served as perches for other birds.
05.JPG

I was looking at photos in the thread from last winter. I really hope some of the more colorful winter migrants will arrive soon.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back