Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

My son and I left the marsh and headed up to Yost Park in the hopes of spotting the barred owls. With the change back to standard time, we can now hit the park at dusk before calling it a day and returning home for dinner.

Our usual loop of the park east through the ravine and back west to the parking lot on the service road produced no owl sightings or soundings. About 15 minutes before sunset (it was already getting dark due to the overcast), I heard the cry of a pileated woodpecker from the ravine below me as I stood on the service road opposite the swimming pool. Remembering my previous shots of one entering a burrow shortly before dark, I rushed over to the tree which houses that burrow.

As I stood there, the woodpecker flew up to the tree and ducked inside the burrow. I had set the 5D Mk IIII to Tv mode with fixed settings of ISO/25600 and 1/500. It was very dark, so the camera defaulted to f/5.6 with the 5.6/100-400L zoom. The shots are admittedly dark and noisy, but I don't like using a flash to photograph birds.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Going.....
03.JPG

Going.....
04.JPG

Gone.
05.JPG

I did not know that pileated woodpeckers like to spend the night in a burrow, but this is the second time I have photographed what appears to be this behavior.

Last edited:
Wow - I had no idea they did that either. Now that 'evening' and sunset is mid day might be worth camping out :)

The Pileated Arrived on Schedule

I went out at about 3:45 pm today (Nov. 5) and set up my 400 f4.6L and Canon 7D on a tripod. I waited as it got darker and darker. Lo and behold! The male Pileated arrived as scheduled at 4:28pm.
I should have aimed the camera a bit more below the opening. Sorry about the blurring - all the shots were at ISO 6400 and 1/20s

He arrives!
11-5-2013 pileated arrived home 1_6023.JPG

11-5-2013 pileated arrived home 2_6024.JPG

11-5-2013 pileated arrived home 3_6025.JPG

I'm home dear!!
11-5-2013 pileated arrived home 4_6026.JPG

11-5-2013 pileated arrived home 5_6027.JPG

Another Attempt - A Near Miss

Trying to get a decent shot of the Pileated Woodpecker landing and entering his tree hollow gives one an appreciation for how much patience and work is involved
in getting a spectacular and publishable image!!!

The good news is that the woodpecker showed up right on time and this time I used the Canon 7D and 500mm f4L in an attempt to get a reasonable shot - no cigar
but I'll try again tomorrow given a break in weather.

All I needed was say 3 milliseconds - all he gave me was about 1. He did not land on the trunk first and then climb into the opening - this time he basically flew right to the
opening - I was lucky to get what I did (rather pathetic excuse - but that will have to do :) Full frame 500mm at f4 at 1/80s ISO 6400 (no noise cleanup). A bit of camera movement-my
fault :(

Almost a duplicate of the last shot of yesterday :)
11-06-2013 pileated dives into hollow_6079.JPG

Last edited:
Ms Belted Kingfisher on Top of the World

Not a great angle, but fun to see her at the Edmonds Marina. She is a consistent resident - much fun to photograph.

11-06-2013 fm kingfisher on top of the world_6069.JPG

I'm still hoping for that ideal kingfisher photo. One day, one day. :)

Our marina kingfishers are very territorial. They have their favorite perches and flight paths. Find the same for your local kingfishers and stake them out. Kingfishers are very chatty and usually announce their presence in advance of their arrival, which gives you time to pick them up in flight.

Friday (11/8) was the first sunny day in quite awhile, so I granted work release to my son and me. We met up with Terry at the marsh and then went over to the fishing pier.

One of the Pt.Edwards eagles was at its usual spot on the piling by the ferry dock. It made a swoop for a fish but came up empty.
01.JPG

02.JPG

We are at that time of year when we must compensate for the low sun angle on bright, sunny days to keep the shots from being over exposed.
03.JPG

A gull kept hovering around a cormorant in the hopes of stealing its fish.
04.JPG

We later went up to Yost Park in time to catch the pileated woodpecker heading into its cavity for the night. Terry said the woodpecker did the same thing as the day before, it flew directly up to the hole and popped in very quickly.
05.JPG

Last edited:
I give up on the night shots of the pileated, Bill - too much time waiting for a 2 millisecond opportunity :)

I give up on the night shots of the pileated, Bill - too much time waiting for a 2 millisecond opportunity :)

I would like to set up one more time using the 5D Mk III + 2.8/400L just to test the limits of ISO and shutter speed settings which can still pull off a decent shot.

Tuesday (11/12) was a four raptor day in the marsh/Pt. Edwards portion of the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle.

While my son Daren was working out at the gym I went down to the marsh, where I noticed something unusual out on the far mudflat off the #2 viewing platform. It turned out to be a juvie peregrine falcon.
01.JPG

The falcon sat there about 15-20 minutes before getting a drink and taking off south around Pt. Edwards.
02.JPG

Terry, Daren, and I hit the marina after lunch. As we were standing in the marina parking lot getting ready to leave, we noticed two evil minions of the Dark Lord chasing a red-tailed hawk in the direction of the marsh. It was probably the same hawk (and the same crows) I had seen circling over the marsh the previous day.
03.JPG

After Terry left, Daren and I went up to the Pt. Edwards walkway, where we saw an adult Accipiter perched on the old light stand.
04.JPG

It was either a sharp-shinned or a Cooper's hawk. While the hawk probably has no identity crisis, I (on the other hand) have difficulty telling the difference between the two.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The fourth member of the day's raptor quadfecta was one of the Pt. Edwards eagles. It flew north along Edmonds Way/Sunset Ave., then landed somewhere down in the marsh.
06.JPG

It came back up carrying a branch and headed south past the raptor tree on the fish hatchery grounds towards its nest in Woodway.
07.JPG

At times it looked as though it was air surfing.
08.JPG

Hanging ten, baby
09.JPG

The eagle lost its grip on the branch and dropped it. It did not bother to retrieve the branch but continued flying south. Daren and I checked the nest afterwards but did not see any eagles in it or in the nearby trees.
10.JPG

Eagles do not always lay eggs every year. The Pt. Edwards pair had one eaglet in 2011, none in 2012, and two this year (2013). This gathering of a branch may just be an instinctual reaction to upgrade the nest. This winter I'll keep a close watch on Pt. Edwards pair and their nest to see if there are any eaglets for 2014.

Last edited:
We did see some birds other than raptors. :cool:

One of the thirteen great blue herons at the marsh.
01.JPG

A common murre off the fishing pier.
02.JPG

One of two late season Heermann's gulls on the fishing pier.
03.JPG

A male surf scoter flying fast past the fishing pier.
04.JPG

A dainty Bonaparte's gull below the fishing pier.
05.JPG

Last edited:
There was a pair of hooded mergansers swimming in the retention pond directly below the hawk. I think they are large enough to know that the hawk is not going to come after them.

06.JPG

07.JPG

male
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Nice group of shots from the day, Bill. Nice to see the Eagles at it again. Not surprised you couldn't see any at the nest - given its size. Also glad to see the mergansers at the pond. BTW, might be worth sending Kevin the hawk shots and get his ID.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back