Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

great shots of the BIF!!! I am still waiting for the Ospray to return to a nest at the park right near me... The nest is on one of the light poles at the ball park..
Hope i can get some nice shots...

Thanks, Christine. You can't miss it - its the southwestern-most light pole - just west of the ball field..And the Osprey have returned (as reported by Bill Anderson).

Thanks, Christine. You can't miss it - its the southwestern-most light pole - just west of the ball field..And the Osprey have returned (as reported by Bill Anderson).

Christine may not be talking about our osprey nest at the Meadowdale softball complex in Lynnwood.

My son and I paid a visit there Saturday (4/13) and saw an osprey in the nest.
5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted. Shooting in Tv mode with +2(?) exposure compensation & spot metering due to our famous PNW light.
04.JPG

A hairy woodpecker was pounding on the light fixture pole about eight feet below the nest.
05.JPG

Earlier in the day I paid a visit to the fish hatchery.
5D Mk III + 100-400L telephoto zoom, hand held

A squirrel, song sparrow, and spotted towhee looking for seeds below the feeder brought to mind the cover of the Beatles' Abbey Road album. Members younger than 50 won't remember the Beatles and members younger than 40 won't remember record albums.
01.JPG

A chestnut-backed chickadee.....
02.JPG

and a red-breasted nuthatch looked for seeds in the feeder.
03.JPG

Last edited:
Somehow, I thought you were talking about the Meadowdale ball field park, Christine....Sorry if I confused you :(

Terry.. lol no the ball park right near my home.. i might go check the nest out today if its not raining....

drats.. the nest was empty... :(

Last edited:
A squirrel, song sparrow, and spotted towhee looking for seeds below the feeder brought to mind the cover of the Beatles' Abbey Road album. Members younger than 50 won't remember the Beatles and members younger than 40 won't remember record albums.

Now that's just silly. I'm in my forties and have all of the Beatles' album and hundreds of vinyl albums to boot.

It has been a very busy "bird week" in Edmonds and it's only Wednesday morning. I'll start off the morning with my favorites, the eagles, and move on to other birds later in the day so members won't feel spammed.

The tide was out Monday (4/15) and at least three eagles were on the Shell Creek spit. They got flushed by a southbound freight and flew off in different directions. This shot was taken at least 600 yards distance looking north from Sunset Ave. with the 5D Mk III + 100-400L telephoto zoom.
01.JPG

One eagle, a juvenile, looked as though it might have perched in a tree on Cary Rd. I walked over there and found it. It took off to harass a second eagle in a nearby tree, which I had missed seeing entirely.
02.JPG

I walked back to Sunset Ave. and took this shot looking north to the Shell Creek spit. The two adults flew south east over Edmonds. I don't know if they were the Hutt Park pair venturing south or the Pt. Edmonds pair returning to home territory after venturing north.
03.JPG

Later I checked out the water front and found this one on the piling off the Senor Center near the ferry dock.
04.JPG

It flew south past the fishing pier.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The eagle action continued Tuesday (4/16) morning when I found an adult getting harassed by an evil minion of the Dark Lord while perched in the fir tree at the corner of Edmonds St. and Sunset Ave.
01.JPG

Those pesky crows are enough to make one scream.
02.JPG

The eagle had enough and took off in the direction of the usual eagle hangout off the Senior Center near the ferry dock.
03.JPG

I drove down to check. An eagle was there, although I cannot be sure it was the same bird
04.JPG

I no sooner mounted the 7D + 2.8/400L + 1.4x on the tripod when it took off. Here is one of two shots I got.
05.JPG

Last edited:
After lunch I returned to the waterfront with my son Daren, where we found one of the eagles perched at the usual spot. Terry called to say he would join us in a few minutes.

Daren and I mounted the 2.8/400L + 1.4x teleconverter on the tripod for some closeup shots. This one was taken with the 5D Mk III attached.
06.JPG

The eagle waited until Terry arrived, then took off, heading west very low across the Sound. I followed its outbound path with the 5D Mk III + 100-400L telephoto lens, which did a good job tracking the bird.
07.JPG

08.JPG

The eagle flew far out over the Sound, then circled and headed back towards us. I had my doubts I could do it, but I tried picking up its inbound flight with the 7D + 2.8/400L + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on the tripod
09.JPG

10.JPG

Continued next page.

Last edited:
And in for a landing. I was surprised that I could track it this well with the super telephoto setup mounted on the tripod.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

After the adult landed, a juvie flew by to give us some understudy shots, as Rocky calls them. Looking closely at the head of this juvie, I believe it is not the same juvie I had photographed on Cary Rd. the previous day.
15.JPG

I saw three juvie southbound flyovers on Tuesday, but no northbound flyovers. The juvie must have been flying the return lap out of my sight to the west over the Sound or to the east over town. Later that day I got some good shots of a hummer and a dunlin.

A fun afternoon, Bill. Great shots - even though we are starting to take eagles for granted, they are still super fun to photograph!

Wednesday (4/17) afternoon Terry, my son Daren, and I walked the beach during low tide from Brackett's Landing north to Shell Creek spit. Although we took a lot of interesting bird photos (which Terry and/or I will post up later), the highlight of our walk was a river otter.

The screechings of the evil minions of Dark Lord alerted us to the presence of something unusual in the area. I instinctively looked up and saw no eagles before I realized that the source of the crows' consternation was something on the beach.

It turned out to be a river otter, the first one I have photographed on the beach in two years.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The otter continued to poke around the rocks...
06.JPG

then ran back into the Sound.
07.JPG

08.JPG

We found the otter's tracks in the sand.
09.JPG

Daren offers up his hand for a size comparison.
10.JPG

The otter's a great find. One of my favorite animals, that I have yet to see locally unfortunately. It would be nice to get more photos for an updated version of my otter calendar. ;)

Max

The otter's a great find. One of my favorite animals, that I have yet to see locally unfortunately. It would be nice to get more photos for an updated version of my otter calendar. ;)

Max

Come down to the Edmonds waterfront this month. It may be a coincidence, but in reviewing my photos, my only otter sightings at the waterfront for the last three years have been in April plus one sighting in May, 2011.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back