Search results

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. Mike-PDX

Eagle Nest Using Extreme Telephoto

I thought all you wildlife shooters would be interested in this article from the latest issue of Outdoor Photographer. It looks like the author shot these near Smith Rock in Oregon. In one case he used teleconverters to achieve an equivalent focal length of 14,000+ mm! Pretty extreme if you...
  2. Mike-PDX

What a difference a few feet make.

I was out a few weeks back doing some night shooting along the Portland waterfront. I took this shot literally under the freeway. After reviewing the first shot in-camera, I decided that I wasn't sure I liked the two lights in the upper left. So I moved a few feet to my left to frame them out...
  3. Mike-PDX

Portland at Night

I had an opportunity to do some night shooting on the Portland waterfront Friday night. It was a chance to practice/improve my long exposure technique and try my hand at light painting. Here are some of the results. C&C encouraged! 'Tis the season to be Marri---ott
  4. Mike-PDX

Steptoe Butte

Back from a couple of days in the Palouse. The weather caused us to come home a day early - something about snow flurries mixed with the rain in Pullman that just didn't seem conducive to outdoor photography. I guess I'm just a wimp… Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions! I did...
  5. Mike-PDX

Candid shots for C&C

OK, so Ejones asked for portrait postings. Shots of people are something I tend to avoid because I'm just not comfortable doing them. The closest I come to shooting portraits would be candid shots. So here are four I took of some school children performing a dance in Costa Rica. I would...
  6. Mike-PDX

RE: Wildlife of Edmonds

Bill, I've been enjoying your thread on your Edmonds birding adventures. But I'm having a problem with the way the forum software handles this long thread. Right now your thread is running 16-17 pages long, and it's getting harder and harder to read. No matter what method I try to view...
  7. Mike-PDX

Another Costa Rica bird you just don't see every day

Here are a pair of newborn Costa Rican Humming Birds in the nest. Newborn Hummers in the nest by Mike-PDX, on Flickr
  8. Mike-PDX

A bird you don't see every day

I just spent two weeks in Costa Rica. Saw lots of amazing new - to me - birds and other critters. This bird is a Resplendent Quetzal. We first spotted it's nest in this tree. The male bird was home at the time. All you can see of it is it's long tail feathers flapping around in the breeze...
  9. Mike-PDX

Sunset, Africa style

Here are a few of my favorite sunset photos from my recent trip to Africa. C&C is welcome and encouraged! :) Africa Sunset - 2 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Africa Sunset - 4 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Which of these two crops do you prefer? Africa Sunset - 1 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Africa...
  10. Mike-PDX

Caption this, too

OK, I just couldn't help myself. These just seem to be crying out for a good title. Africa-18 A by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Africa-18 b by Mike-PDX, on Flickr
  11. Mike-PDX

More kitty pics

From my recent Southern Africa safari trip. I'm starting to get through the nearly 3000 shots I brought back. C&C Welcome! Leopards: Africa-5 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Africa-6 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Cheetah: Africa-25 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Lions: Africa-32 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr...
  12. Mike-PDX

Tummy rub, anyone?

Just a very big, well fed kitty... Africa-56 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr Africa-57 by Mike-PDX, on Flickr
  13. Mike-PDX

Caption this!

This isn't a great photo, but I liked the little bit of interaction between the [correction] Yellow billed Stork and the Croc. Thought you guys might be able to come up with some interesting captions. Here's mine: Who you callin' ugly, Bubba? Africa - 1 on 1 at the watering hole by Mike-PDX...
  14. Mike-PDX

Story telling

The title of this thread could be "Infinite Loop"' or possibly... "Do over until exhausted". [Edit: forgot to add that C&C is always encouraged] I've been learning a new camera, the Olympus E-M5, along with a new lens, the Oly micro fourthirds 45mm f/1.8 (which is a 90mm "equivalent"). I...
  15. Mike-PDX

Unexpected Surprise

I woke up this morning to a very unexpected guest at my backyard bird feeder, in addition to the snow, that is. My best guess is female Merlin - it was definitely on the small side as hawks go, maybe 12" head to tail. It sat there long enough for me to go get the tripod and put the 1.4x on my...
  16. Mike-PDX

Snowy Owls sighted in Oregon, too

According to this report, a Snowy Owl has been sighted as far south as Burns, OR. http://www.kgw.com/news/Oregon-biologists-puzzled-by-snowy-owl-visit-136879573.html I guess you guys up north aren't the only ones to be so lucky. :)
  17. Mike-PDX

Mike's picks for favorites of 2011

A great deal of change for me this year: I retired, so among other things I have more time to travel and shoot photos. Here are some of the shots I selected as ones I particularly liked. If you've been around here a while, you probably remember most of these. Photographically, the year started...
  18. Mike-PDX

Portland MAX Light Rail

Some scenes from around Portland on MAX. C&C welcome/encouraged! 1. Stop in the name of art! Rockwood station in Gresham. 2: A little morning fog over the city. Shot from a MAX train on the Steel Bridge.
  19. Mike-PDX

Getting out of my comfort zone

So, I'm mostly a landscape ant trains shooter. Yesterday, a friend and I went out for a day of shooting MAX lightrail in Portland. Now I'd call this more like street shooting, which I've never really done before. I sort of liked how this one came out, and would like some feedback on it...
  20. Mike-PDX

The good, the bad, the ugly

I recently returned from two weeks cruising from Bellingham to Desolation Sound, Princess Louisa Inlet, and the Gulf Islands. Here are some of the other boats we saw along the way. The Good: The Bad: The Ugly:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back