Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I went down to the marsh and marina later in the afternoon after our usual gloom & doom had returned. This resulted in insanely high ISO settings even when shooting as slow as 1/500.

I just missed getting a good shot of the ruby crowned kinglet's vivid ruby crown. The shot before this showed a lot of the ruby crown, but it was slightly out of focus.

Here are two more photos of the ruby-crowned kinglet which show its ruby crown. The photos get very soft when I crop them too close. The ISO was 10000 with a shutter speed of 1/500 and an aperature setting of f/8.0.

06.JPG

07.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday I "focused" on our smallest local bird, the Anna's hummingbird.

Female sitting on a nest, the location of which I have been sworn to secrecy.
01.JPG

The scene was dark and back-lit. I was shooting at 1/500, which came nowhere close to freezing the wings. With a little post processing through Picasa, I salvaged some "artsy" shots of this hummer feeding on early blooms.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Great shots, Bill. Your shot of the nest is quite good, considering the lighting!

You once told me it is no surprise that the great bird photographers all live in sunny California and Florida. On a positive note, you and I are [albiet not by choice] becoming experts on lousy light bird photography. ;)

Thursday (2/28) shots of yellow-rumped warblers attempting to add a little cheer to our usual rainy season gloom & doom, which lasts through Junuary 30th.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
beautiful bird photos as always.... oh i love the hummy in the nest!!! i would love to see one in a tree someday....

Thursday (3/7) a yellow-rumped warbler was looking for bugs over
01.JPG

under
02.JPG

around
03.JPG

and through
04.JPG

the tennis court fence beside the marsh walkway.

A Bewick's wren was doing the same thing on a nearby tree.
05.JPG

Two years ago marsh wrens ruled the cattails below the #2 viewing platform at the Edmonds marsh. Last year they moved east and the #1 and #2 viewing platforms became the realm of song sparrows.

Friday (3/8) I photographed a marsh wren on a recon mission deep within song sparrow territory near the #1 viewing platform.
01.JPG

There was a lot of activity around the #4 viewing platform.

Male red-shafted northern flicker.
02.JPG

A male red-winged blackbird looking for larvae burrowed inside the back-lit cattail heads set the stage for some dramatic photos. Here are three of the several I took. I'll post more if Saturday and Sunday do not produce any photos worth posting.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Monday afternoon (3/11) I noticed two pairs of great blue herons in or near nests in the heron rookery at the far south side of the marsh. As in the past three years, I suspect any nesting activity on their part will be short-lived as the Pt. Edwards bald eagle pair still resides just up the hill on Pine St.

These cropped shots were taken taken at least 400 yards distance from the #2 viewing platform on the north side of the marsh with my 5D MkIII + 100-400L zoom. They remind me of Chinese and Japanese rice paper paintings of cranes. Sometimes life really does imitate art.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Later that day, our mother hummer flashed a little red, but still no signs of hatchlings in her nest.

01.JPG

Last edited:
did you know their eggs are the size of a 'tic tak"? if she does have babies you wont visually see them for a while... keep up her progress in her nest!

Tuesday afternoon (3/12), a flock of red crossbills were picking seeds out of pine cones in one of the pine trees across from the brew pub in the Harbor Square complex by the marsh.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Again.. great bird pics... i think i favor the 2nd one... I havent seen those here.. They must hang around the marsh?

Again.. great bird pics... i think i favor the 2nd one... I havent seen those here.. They must hang around the marsh?

According to Sibley's they live in our area year around and fly in single species flocks, wandering erratically in search of food, mainly from the cones of pines, spruces, and firs. They pry the seeds out from the cones using their unique cross bill, an interesting adaptation of nature.

Last edited:
A few more photos of the red crossbills.

Their winter visit to Edmonds has created quite a stir among our local bird watchers.
06.JPG

The crossbills' signature crossed bill is highly adaptive to picking seeds out of pine cones.
09.JPG

18.JPG

24.JPG

Two females (yellow) and a male (red) out of a flock of about a dozen which was on the tree.
26.JPG

Last edited:
The Hummers Have Hatched!

Friday (3/15) after lunch, Terry and I discovered that two hummers had hatched at the secret Anna's humming bird nest. We spent the rest of the afternoon taking photos, which was not easy. By some weird coincidence the wind would start up at the precise moment the mother hummer returned to the nest and blow branches in front of it.

5D Mk III + 100-400L zoom, handheld
01.JPG

02.JPG

5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Three more from Friday. The mother would arrive at the nest, feed the babies, then depart for 15-30 minutes to look for more food. Like many birds, she would not return directly to the nest but would first perch on a branch to make sure she was not being followed by a predator. I have been told that the female typically lays two eggs and the male plays no part in making the nest or tending to the babies.

5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome pics of the mama hummer and babies!! what a great day even if the wind came up!! just to see them out in the wild is so exciting!!

My favorite is the top shot of the last three, Bill - Super.... Great the sun came out for a bit.

The weather was lousy for most of Saturday (3/16). Fortunately I did not have to venture beyond my back deck to be entertained by a Bewick's wren, one of my favorite LBB's (little brown birds).

I think this was a male putting on a display for a female....
01.JPG

02.JPG

as it flew into one of my neighbor's shrubs, from which a second Bewick's wren emerged.
03.JPG

The upper bird was the one on the fence.
04.JPG

I don't know if the female was impressed.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Later I went to Terry's house to show him how to post photos to this forum. ;)

After the tutorial we both went down to the marsh, where we once again saw the flock of red crossbills in the pine tree across from Gallagher's Irish brew pub at Harbor Square. With Sunday being St. Patrick's Day, many people were arriving at the pub. Most of them were curious about what we were photographing.

I took a lot of photos, the following of which show how natural selection has created the perfect bill for the crossbill to pry apart the pine cones in order to dig out the seeds.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Success!
10.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back