Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

And some backyard birds to close out the day.

Bewick's wren.
07.JPG

Dark-eyed junco.
08.JPG

Golden-crowned kinglet.
09.JPG

Red-breasted nuthatch.
10.JPG

Brown creeper.
11.JPG

A few from Friday (3/22).

Varied thrush at the fish hatchery.
01.JPG

Anna's hummingbird along the Pt. Edwards walkway.
02.JPG

Yellow-rumped warbler at the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway.
03.JPG

Downey woodpecker along the marsh walkway.
04.JPG

McInroe, the male Anna's hummer who guards the #3 viewing platform at the marsh. I was not quick enough to get photos of him buzzing a nearby crow with one of his high speed "J" dives.
05.JPG

Saturday (3/23) was very sunny and lots of people were out bird watching in the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle. I met a couple at the marsh and later gave them a guided tour of the Pt. Edwards walkway.

As we reached the end of the walkway past the retention pond, a red-tailed hawk landed nearby. They were quite pleased.
01.JPG

After I returned to the fish hatchery, I kept hearing something under a plant in front of me in the nature garden. As I gingerly approached the plant, a marsh wren darted out from beneath it and scooted into the nearby man-made brush pile.

Edit (12/17): I revisited this photo after seeing a photo of a Pacific wren and posted a query on Tweeter's. The majority of respondents identified it as a Pacific wren and said this behavior is typical of one.
02.JPG

I went back to the marsh and found a black-capped chickadee hunting for insect larvae burrowed inside the cattail heads.
03.JPG

My last stop for the afternoon was the fishing pier, where a pelagic cormorant was diving for fish.
04.JPG

Coming up empty, it left before I did.
05.JPG

Last edited:
By human standards, the Circle of Life can be cruel. I fear the baby hummingbirds met an untimely end sometime Friday (3/22).

At 9:20am I photographed what appeared to be one of the baby hummers sitting in the nest in its standard "bill up" position.
01.JPG

I returned to the nest later in the afternoon and photographed the mother hummer making three trips to what appeared to be an empty nest. In this sequence, taken at 2:05 pm, you can see the mother hummer poking her head deep inside the nest. Normally she would not have to do this, as the babies would raise their heads up to meet her bill and be fed.
02.JPG

03.JPG

She took off......
04.JPG

Leaving behind what looked like an empty nest.
05.JPG

Throughout the afternoon she remained near the nest and chased off birds which got too close, including a back-capped chickadee and a golden-crowned sparrow. I think the babies were too young to have fledged and may have been eaten by a predator.... most likely another bird.

Fortunately, Anna's hummingbirds are not an endangered species in my area. As spring has just begun and there are plenty of males in the vicinity, this female may once again mate, build another nest, and raise a second pair of offspring this year. Anna's have been known to "double clutch", i.e., the female may produce and raise two broods during the normal nesting season. Our local Anna's do not migrate, so unlike local migratory species such as the osprey, there is no pressure for the juvies to develop and be ready for a long journey south before next autumn.

Last edited:
Looks like you did a great job as a tour guide!! I'm thinking that must be the same red-tailed hawk that occasionally visits us. Sure look like the same bird.

Looks like you did a great job as a tour guide!! I'm thinking that must be the same red-tailed hawk that occasionally visits us. Sure look like the same bird.

It probably was your backyard hawk, as it left when it saw you were not with me. :D

Three snipes were seen Monday afternoon (3/25) from the west (#1) viewing platform. One made a brief cameo appearance (no photos),

one bathed itself then disappeared back into the cattails,
7D + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter
01.JPG

and one remained at the plant/mud/water interface to hunt for food.
5D MkIII + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter
04.JPG

The water level in the marsh was the highest I have seen for over a month. The snipes like it when the water level is just below the bottom of the plants so they can walk on the mud and use their excellent camouflage to blend into the plants directly behind them while they are dipping into the water for food.
05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

Several of us took advantage of Monday's (3/25) sunshine and were out with binos or cameras looking for birds. Here are a few from the fish hatchery.

A pair of Townsend's warblers have been hanging around the hatchery the past week. They have proved to be harder to shoot than the ruby-crowned kinglet.
01.JPG

And speaking of the ruby-crowned kinglet, this one had just captured a bug.
02.JPG

A hummer was going after a bug as well, which you can see on the left side of the photo.
03.JPG

This hummer was taking a different approach to hunting bugs by raiding a spider web. I have photographed a hummer using this technique once before.
06.JPG

A brown creeper sunning itself on the wildlife tree. To find the creeper, go straight up from the sign to nearly the top of the photo.
04.JPG

Last edited:
The snipe hunt at the marsh continued Tuesday (3/26) with success.

All photos: 5D MkIII + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted.

Uncropped.
01.JPG

Cropped.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Wednesday (3/27) Terry and I tried taking some long distance shots of activity at the Edmonds marsh heron rookery with our big telephoto lenses. My photos were quite poor and I deleted all of them. Here are some from the day that I did keep.

5D MkIII + 100-400L, handheld
A brown creeper brought material to build a nest inside a stump on the fish hatchery grounds.
01.JPG

02.JPG

A female house finch up at the Pt. Edwards condos was gathering nest material as well.
03.JPG

An Anna's hummingbird was feeding on some blooms beside the walkway below the condos.
05.JPG

7D + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted
A pelagic cormorant was feeding on some sort of shellfish by the fishing pier.
08.JPG

One of the local juvie bald eagles provided entertainment throughout the afternoon.

First it got harassed by gulls and crows when it perched on a tree on Admiral Way by the marina.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Later that afternoon it made three flights over Puget Sound off Sunset Ave. while I was photographing trains. Each time the Brant or gulls would alert me to its approach.
06.JPG

07.JPG

It followed one of the afternoon commuter trains during one of the flyovers.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Thursday (3/28) was very sunny, so guess what???? Lots of bird photos.

The red crossbills continue to drop by the pine trees at Harbor Square near the marsh viewing platform #2. I should be crossbilled out by now, but I cannot resist taking photos of these highly photogenic birds.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Next stop was the marina. I attached a circular polarizing filter to my 100-400L lens and photographed a female common goldeneye diving inside the marina.

Like the grebes, the goldeneye propels itself under water by a frog kick.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Returning to the surface.
04.JPG

Up for air.
05.JPG

I should have used spot metering, as the lighter colors are slightly washed out.

Last edited:
McInroe, guardian of the #3 viewing platform at the marsh, put on quite an aerial display before strafing an unseen intruder.

A shutter speed of 1/2000 was still not fast enough to fully freeze his wings.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
The pale eyes of the female bushtit, which is one size up from a hummer, are both spooky and photogenic.
01.JPG

Bushtits gather cattail fuzz from the marsh to build hanging nests, which resemble worn out sweat socks. I have observed that many birds do not fly directly to their nests or burrows but will first perch on a branch. I assume this is a behavioral adaptation to avoid leading predators directly to the nest.

The female waits before delivering cattail fuzz to the nest, which is still under construction.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Into the nest with a mouth full of fuzz.
04.JPG

And out for another trip to the marsh. You could see the nest move while she was inside arranging the fuzz.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back