Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Friday (3/29) I had lunch with a friend in nearby Lynnwood. On the way back home I stopped off at Scriber Creek Park and Mini Park to look for birds.

My target at Scriber Creek Park was the resident green heron. Once again I got only a fleeting look as it flew across the street to Mini Park.
01.JPG

I searched the trees at the south end of Mini Park for the green heron to no avail, but I did find a bushtit nest under construction.
02.JPG

03.JPG

To the southeast a juvie bald eagle flew over I-5.
04.JPG

A muskrat swam across the pond past a turtle and coot sunning themselves.
05.JPG

Last shots from Mini Park:

Female hooded merganser.
06.JPG

A coot that I think was doing some kind of courtship ritual.
07.JPG

Next stop was Scriber Lake where I photographed a scaup on the lake...
08.JPG

and a pileated woodpecker deep in the woods.
09.JPG

My last stop before returning home was Hutt Park to photograph the resident pair of bald eagles perched on their family tree. It doesn't look as though the Hutt Park pair will be having a baby this year.
10.JPG

Willow Creek Fish Hatchery, 3-30-31.

Terry and I were photographing the resident brown creeper hauling nest material to its burrow when Terry noticed a second bird on the stump.
01.JPG

Can you spot the mysterious shadow creeper?
02.JPG

Next up was the heron's nest by the creek. This nest is east of the main heron rookery and hopefully will escape the vigilant eyes of the Pt. Edwards eagle pair.
03.JPG

Later that afternoon I returned to the hatchery with my son.

Resident male hybrid red/yellow shafted northern flicker. The signature red V on the back of its neck, the mark of a hybrid, is not visible in this photo.
04.JPG

I nearly missed this Steller's jay as it perched very quietly on a tree beside the driveway.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Monday (4/1) Terry and I started our daily rounds of the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle at the marsh. We noticed some birds fly into one of the pine trees where we have seen the red cross-bills. I got a shot of a small bird which I initially thought was a black-capped chickadee. Judging by the way it was pecking at the cones, I then thought it was a red-breasted nuthatch.

Examination of my camera's viewing screen revealed the bird to be the elusive golden-crowned kinglet.
01.JPG

There were two red cross-bills in the pine tree as well, a female and this male.
02.JPG

One of two killdeer walking around the sidewalk as we left.
03.JPG

The next stop was the fish hatchery to photograph the brown creeper bringing in some kind of fuzz to line its nest.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Later that afternoon I discovered that one of the Dunn Lumber osprey pair had returned to their nest in Lynnwood.
06.JPG

I concluded the day's rounds with a stop at Ocean Ave. in Edmonds to photograph the sunset.

Brant in the Sound off Ocean Ave.
07.JPG

About a mile away, one of the Hutt Park eagles was watching the sunset from the family tree.
08.JPG

Tuesday (4/3) the light was perfect for photography: slight overcast, diffuse light, no harsh sunlight or shadows.

I started off at the marsh. The water level was high enough shortly before noon to draw two snipes out to feed. Taken from the boardwalk between the #1 and #2 viewing platforms.
5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted

Snipe #1
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Snipe #2
04.JPG

05.JPG

Continue on to page 14 for the day's eagle action.

Last edited:
The tide went out rapidly in the afternoon leaving the marsh nothing but a mudflat; however, the avian action continued with the eagles putting on a good show.

One of the Pt. Edwards pair was perched at its usual spot on one of the pilings off the Senior Center near the ferry dock.

5D Mk III + 2/8/400L + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted
One of its feathers flew off after it shook.
01.JPG

It saw a fish and took off
02.JPG

03.JPG

7D + 100-400L telephoto zoom, handheld
Coming in low over the water.
04.JPG

Naturally the camera lost focus the moment the eagle snapped up the fish, but I got a few good shots as it pulled up and returned to a piling.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The eagle flying back to the other piling.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

Eating the fish.
5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 2x converter, tripod mount
09.JPG

After eating the fish, the eagle took off. I got a phone call from Terry, who reported that he saw the eagle on the pole off Marina Park at the south end of the marina. I drove down to get some more photos.
5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 2z converter, tripod mount
10.JPG

Last edited:
I could tell by the eagle's body language that it was not going to remain on the pole for very long. Sure enough, it took off.

5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

Last edited:
5D Mk III + 2.8/400L + 2x converter, tripod mounted
16.JPG

17.JPG

It flew north over the marina, then headed towards the marsh. I suspect it landed at the puddles on the Unocal grounds where Terry and I have previously photographed it taking a bath.
18.JPG

19.JPG

I saw several more eagle flyovers the rest of the afternoon. My last eagle sighting was of this sub-adult perched in a tree east of the Shell Creek Spit. I was walking the beach and missed it on my way north to Shell Creek from Brackett's Landing. To my credit, the numerous crows in the vicinity must not have seen it either as they were busy beach combing at low tide. I didn't pick it up until my return walk back south. It looks like the sub-adult I have photographed perched in a tall fir on Hanna Park Rd. Both locations are in the territory of the Hutt Park pair.

5D Mk III + 100-400L telephoto zoom, handheld
20.JPG

Last edited:
Great day, Bill! Love your action shots. Today might be another good day for a serious snipe hunt! :)

Nice series, Bill.

Man, you're hitting all my favorites, eagles, ospreys, snipes, hummingbirds, good stuff!

For those who prefer LBJ's over large raptors, here are some shots from yesterday of black-capped chickadees digging for larvae that live inside the cattail heads below the #2 viewing platform of the marsh. I have photographed several other species of birds doing this as well.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Great day, Bill! Love your action shots. Today might be another good day for a serious snipe hunt! :)

Today Edmonds Parks & Rec is holding their annual Marsh Madness spring break day camp for school kids at the marsh. I recommended to the leader that they be there around noon to take advantage of the birds brought out by the high water. I may go down then to take some PR photos for Parks & Rec, as it puts on a lot of good nature programs throughout the year including the annual Bird Fest.

Last edited:
Photographing the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle is an ever-changing experience, as the avian action can vary from day to day and place to place. While our largest birds, the eagles, were nowhere to be seen around the marsh or the marina Wednesday (4/3) afternoon; our smallest birds, the hummers, picked up the slack with photo ops at the fish hatchery and Pt. Edwards walkway.

A female Anna's hummingbird was on the prowl along Willow Creek below the hatchery.
01.JPG

She raided a spider's web....
02.JPG

and stole some bugs.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Hummer action continues on the next page.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back