Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

You guys are lucky to be in a area with so many variety of birds.

Bill whats the lens in your avatar? wow... apparently great for birding!

Terry what pics did you get?

Bill whats the lens in your avatar? wow... apparently great for birding!

The lens in my avatar is a Canon 2.8/400L telephoto. It is and is not a good lens for birding. It is a good birding lens as I can attach a 2x teleconverter to it which gives me the economy version of an 800mm telephoto lens. It is not a good birding lens as it weighs about 15 lb. and must be mounted on a tripod.

Mine is an older, second series model which I bought used at considerable savings from Kenmore Camera. The price of the newest, fourth series model is probably beyond the reach of most of us, although it is 28% lighter than mine. The newest model also has image stabilization (IS), which mine does not. I question whether IS is necessary in a lens which will always be mounted on a tripod. Canon even says to turn off the IS when shooting from a tripod.
http://www.kenmorecamera.com/p-13798-canon-ef-400mm-f28-l-is-usm-ii.aspx

Because the 2.8/400L is so heavy and must be mounted on a tripod, most of my birding is done with my 100-400L zoom. It is light enough to carry around my neck and shoot hand held using my preferred "walk & stalk" method of bird photography. Unless I note otherwise in the photo captions, the bird photos I post up are taken with my 5D Mk III + 100-400L telephoto zoom.

Last edited:
Hi Christine
Bill and I frequently get very similar shots. Bill, however, is extremely expert in getting BIFs (Birds in Flight). I haven't posted any of my crossbill shots yet, but will do so soon. My 'normal' lens is a hand-held Canon 400mm f5.6L (prime - i.e. not zoom) and is well within the weight (2.2#) that makes hand holding possible. My newest lens is a Canon 500mm f4L that I often use with a 1.4x extender making it a 700mm f5.6 lens. Although not as heavy as Bill's 400mm 2.8L, it does weight 8.5 pounds and must be mounted on a tripod. Thanks for looking and asking.

I have the 70-200L 4.5 (?) also the 2x extender but its not good for birding if they are to far away... i have to use my Cannon SX50HD with the super zoom for anything far away.. which i am very pleased with..... I do wish i could have gotton the 100-400L instead, but the one i do have is good for other stuff too.. I dont use it that much tho...
Looking fwd to seeing your bird pics too Terry..

I have the 70-200L 4.5 (?) also the 2x extender but its not good for birding if they are to far away... i have to use my Cannon SX50HD with the super zoom for anything far away.. which i am very pleased with..... I do wish i could have gotton the 100-400L instead, but the one i do have is good for other stuff too.. I dont use it that much tho...
Looking fwd to seeing your bird pics too Terry..

I believe your lens is the 4.0/70-200L, the same as the one which I purchased used last year at Kenmore Camera. With a 2x extender it should work fine for birding if the birds are not too far away. My 100-400L was in the shop for most of the winter of 2011-12, so I used my 5D Mk II + 4.0/70-200L with a Tamron 1.4x extender. Terry thought my shots were better than those I took with my 7D + 100-400L.

If you want more reach, check out Terry's 5.6/400L, which is a real bargain compared to the prices of most of Canon's "L" lenses. For birds I seldom use an aperature setting wider than f/8.0, so you can still use the 5.6/400L with a 1.4 extender.

Last edited:
Marsh Madness in Edmonds continued through St. Patrick's Day (Sunday, 3/17).

The red crossbills returned to feed in the pine tree directly across from the front door of Gallagher's brew it yourself pub. Although it is a pretty and unique bird, I am nearly "crossbilled out."
01.JPG

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles landed on the UnoCal grounds beyond the south side of the marsh. I suspected it was bathing in the large puddle where I have photographed it previously. I drove up to the Pt. Edwards condos and stalked it from the walkway, but came up empty. It must have taken off before I could get up there.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The mother hummer continues to feed her two babies. Here she is taking off from the nest to begin another foray for food.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I met up with Terry and we drove back down to Harbor Square, where we saw a female downy woodpecker pecking for bugs in one of the trees.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

Two great blue herons were flying around the rookery at the far south side of the marsh, creating some (pick one) artsy/surrealistic/ethereal/lousy/why bother posting shots.
09.JPG

I doubt the herons will nest, as one of the Pt. Edwards bald eagles was perched in the family tree up Pine St.at the top of the hill.
10.JPG

Last edited:
Just one caveat, Christine, since the 70-200 is an f4, it will only autofocus using a 1.4x extender, which will make it an f5.6 lens. The 2x extender will make it an f8 and therefore it will not autofocus.
With the 400 f5.6L, it will not autofocus even with the 1.4x since that will make it an f8 lens. This applies to the all Canon SLRs unless they are the '1' series (like 1DX, 1D).

A variety from Monday (3/18).

Bushtit. 5D MkIII + 100-400L zoom
01.JPG

Ruby-crowned kinglet. 5D MkIII + 100-400L zoom
02.JPG

Two male northern flickers doing the Wicka-Wicka mating/territorial ritual, which went on for several minutes. The one on the left is a red-shafted flicker and the one on the right is a red-shafted/yellow-shafted hybrid as evidenced by the red moustache and the red "v" on the back of its neck. It may be the same bird I have been photographing in the area for the past three years. 5D MkIII + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter
03.JPG

The baby hummers are starting to poke their heads and wings out of the nest. 5D MkIII + 2.8/400L + 2x teleconverter
04.JPG

Townsend's warbler. 7D + 100-400L zoom
05.JPG

Last edited:
That shot of the baby hummer's head is great, Bill. Priceless. Nice other shots too. I like the flickers doing their dance....

That shot of the baby hummer's head is great, Bill. Priceless. Nice other shots too. I like the flickers doing their dance...

^^Exactly what Terry said! Great documentation. Keep bringin' em'.:D

Last edited:
A few from Tuesday (3/19), which may have been our last dry day of the week.

Ruby-crowned kinglet. Two of them were flying near each other. One would flash its ruby red crown when the other approached too close, but I was not fast enough to catch it.
01.JPG

Red-breasted sapsucker checking out a potential nest cavity.
02.JPG

Male green-winged teal.
03.JPG

Slightly fuzzy shot of a yellow-rumped warbler as it caught a flying insect in mid air.
04.JPG

Sanderlings on the beach below Sunset Ave. during low tide.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Fun day and shots, Bill. Nice to see those Sanderlings too. Looks like its going to be a wild day today, weatherwise. Hope our hummers survive!

Looks like its going to be a wild day today, weatherwise. Hope our hummers survive!

The first day of spring (Wed., 3/20) was wild and windy indeed. Although the nest was rocked quite heavily, mother hummer is a good engineer and all was secure.
All shots: 5D MkIII + 100-400L zoom, handheld.

The high winds kept mother hummer and the insects she hunts from flying high. Can you spot the nest up and to the left of the hummer?
01.JPG

She continued to make her feeding rounds in the wind, even though she and her two babies must have been seasick.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Off to hunt some more bugs.
04.JPG

Last edited:
The first day of spring saw other avian action in the hummer's neighborhood.

Something in the blossom of a nearby tree attracted the attention of a black-capped chickadee.
01.JPG

02.JPG

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles on patrol.
03.JPG

Last edited:
A collection from Thursday (3/21).

Head shots of a male pileatated woodpecker at the fish hatchery...
01.JPG

a great blue heron at the marsh...
02.JPG

and a female common goldeneye inside the marina.

03.JPG

Last edited:
More from Thursday.

Wesley, the Anna's hummingbird who guards the #1 viewing platform at the marsh, dispatched an intruding spotted towhee.

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

Series concluded on next page.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back