Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Some autumnesque photos of a lowly song sparrow at the marsh on Friday (10/18):
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Resident female Belted King Fisher on a Foggy Afternoon (Thursday 10/24)

I ventured out on the Fishing Pier, braving it because Bill Anderson wasn't able to cover the waterfront today :) Someone had to do it.

The Kingfisher was on one of her favorite perches. The fog certainly isn't bothering her - it sure is me!!

Here's three 'mug' shots :) Taken with the Canon 40 and 400mm f5.6L combination.

10-24-2013 f kingfisher_1485.JPG

10-24-2013 f kingfisher_1478.JPG

10-24-2013 f kingfisher_1481.JPG

Friday (10/25) was my day to cover the marina. Terry's kingfisher was covering the marina as well. I photographed her in three different locations as my son and I walked the length of the marina.

Stretching and yawning on the salmon mobile.
01.JPG

On the port's windsock.
02.JPG

On a mast yawning once again.
03.JPG

Bonaparte's gull transitioning into winter plumage.
04.JPG

Late season's Heermann's gull. It should be headed south any time if it is not already in transit.
05.JPG

Wow, Bill. That first Kingfisher shot is really something. All good shots - were those taken with your 5Diii and the 560mm??

They were all taken with the 5DIII + 100-400L lens without the teleconverter. With the low light, I favored aperature over reach. On the first kingfisher photo I used +2 exposure compensation plus Picasa's auto contrast. I did the same for the other photos, although I cannot remember the exact level of + exposure compensation I used for each photo.

Surprisingly, even with the cloudy and/or foggy conditions, there is enough light to be able to shoot at a +2. Your results look really good.

Expect little/no shots from me this week as I am undergoing the unorganized homeowner's h*ll of a total re-flooring and re-carpeting of my house. :( Clearing the floors for the workers involves packing and moving 22+ years of accumulated junque into the garage. The garage is too cold for my pet turtles, so they will have to come upstairs.

On a positive note, autumn is a good time of the year for this project, as my best avian photo sessions are in the winter and spring. ;)

I have spent a fortune this year on the house, $$$$$ which could have gone toward the purchase of a 1Dx and 600L telephoto lens. Unfortunately, living 22 years in the same residence leads to a lot of things that need to be replaced/repaired/repainted. Perhaps I'll reward myself next year with a new Jeep to replace my 20 year old; 90,000 mile F-150 pickup. :eek:

In the meantime, I hope the uber organized Terry, who remains unphased by my home maintenance projects, will pick up the slack and entertain us all with bird photos taken with his 7D + 500L telephoto lens. :eek:

Last edited:
LOL, Bill....remember, I only have a 7D and ancient 40D so nothing that I do will compare with your shots.
Yesterday, was quite windy and bird wise not much to see. I got a nice blurry shot of a song sparrow, and a few shots of the herons that had retreated to the marsh.
I found a couple of red-breasted sapsucker shots I had not processed. I like them because it showed how they peck holes in the bark and to later come back to to feed on the sap.
All taken with the 40D and 400 f5.6L - too windy and wet to get out the 500 :)

No birds here - the waves at times went over the breakwater at the Edmonds Harbor
10-27-2013 Eind and waves_1526.JPG

There were several Herons hunkered down at the marsh - water was too high, I think, for the Snipes to be in view
10-27-2013 GB Heron Marsh_1519.JPG

17th the Sapsucker pecking new holes in the bark of one of the Hatchery trees.
10-17-2013 Red-breasted Sapsucker - Hatchery_1466.JPG

Also from the 17th - a Red-breasted Sapsucker out on a limb
10-17-2013 Red-breasted Sapsucker - Hatchery_1417.JPG

Monday, Oct. 28

I made the waterfront rounds on a very blustery but clear and beautiful day. On my initial visit to the Edmonds Marsh via my bicycle, sans camera, there was lots of heron action - some 11 birds were jumping and/or flying around. So I raced (well, as fast as I could) back home to grab the 500mm/7D setup. When I got back it was like totally no action - everyone was dozing or preening. I also visited the Edmonds Pier - almost no action there either partly because it was so windy. Bottom line - high winds = not many birds about - at least without Bill Anderson the bird magnet :)

I'll try again tomorrow.

Grumpy Heron
10-28-2013 gb heron marsh_5844.JPG

Preening Heron
10-28-2013 gb heron preening marsh_5840 .JPG

Wednesday, Oct. 29

After spending a gorgeous early afternoon at Yost Park, and seeing very little but hearing a couple of Pileated Woodpeckers, Stellers Jays, Kinglets, Juncos, and other unidentified bird calls, headed to the Willow-Creek Fish Hatchery adjacent to the Edmonds Marsh. I managed a shot of a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet. At least I think it is a Ruby-crowned.

I'll be glad when Bill Anderson is back - he always draws several birds within reasonable shooting distance. BTW, I think he will be glad to be back too :)

10-29-2013 kinglet  - ruby-crowned.JPG

Last edited:
I'll be glad when Bill Anderson is back - he always draws several birds within reasonable shooting distance. BTW, I think he will be glad to be back too :)

Although my house is still unpacked, I made a jail break Saturday (11/2) to attend the annual Kenmore Camera expo in Lynnwood. After I was done there, my son Daren and I headed to the marsh. From the marsh we saw an adult bald eagle perched on the family tree at the top of Pine St on Pt. Edwards. A juvie flew south over the Sound past the marina, then joined the adult on the tree. Daren and I drove up to Pine St. to photograph the pair.

The juvie looks like it might be one of the two 2013 offspring of the Pt. Edwards pair. The adult; however, does not look like one of its parents. With its "dirty" head, this bird has the appearance of a three year old subadult. It looks like the same eagle I photographed on Sunset Ave. earlier this year.
01.JPG

The juvie took off and landed at the nearby flat-topped spar, where it remained there a few minutes before heading south towards the nest of the Pt. Edwards pair.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

The subadult remained alone, then took off and headed north over town. A few minutes later the juvie passed by, heading north as well.
05.JPG

It is always good to see the return of the eagles in the fall.

Last edited:
So glad to see the eagles coming back, Bill. Great shots.
It looks to me like the juvie has too much white to be this year's offspring from our local nest.

The bad news is that completion of the recarpeting and reflooring of my home has been delayed. :mad: That did; however, allow my son Daren and me a brief release from home detention today (11/4) to briefly meet up with Terry at Marina Park. Terry was experimenting with the hyperfocal technique of landscape photography that he had picked up at Jennifer Wu's presentation at Kenmore Camera's photo expo.
http://www.jenniferwu.com/hyperfocal-focusing/

Nothing exciting was happening at the park and Terry had to leave. After running an errand at the bank, Daren and I went to the marsh in time to see a flock of American wigeons coming in for a landing.
01.JPG

02.JPG

One of their number appeared to be a Eurasian wigeon as evidenced by its red head. I think I saw (the same?) one yesterday, but none of my shots were good enough to post up here.
Check out the bird on the left in this photo.
03.JPG

And the same bird on the right in these two photos. Eurasian wigeon? Edit: One person viewing these photos has suggested this might be an American-Eurasian hybrid based on the color of its sides. The photos are admittedly poor, so I'll have to keep a closer watch on the wigeon flocks with my new binos when I am down at the marsh.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Continued on page 49.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back