Search results

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

1. Terry O

Hummers from my office window June 20, 2020 (Woodway, WA)

My office window is about ten feet from my hummingbird feeder, so these shots are through a window. I keep my 400mm f5.6L lens and Canon 5diii at the ready. A female Annas attracted to new red leaves looking like flowers. A female Rufous. A red-hot poker plant waiting for a hummer -...
  2. Terry O

Birds of Woodway, WA 2020

This is a photo log of birds in Woodway Washington, located adjacent to Puget Sound and about 15 miles north of Seattle 05/02/2020. This thread starts with photos in my yard because of the COVID 19 stay at home order in Washington State. Luckily we have many birds that show up at our feeder...
  3. Terry O

Birds of Woodway, WA

Its been a while since I have posted, but with being cooped up forced me to get out and see what's going on...:)N
  4. Terry O

Winter snow in our 'back forty'.

Taken on Sunday, on the first heavy snowstorm of the season. Last of the berries of Fall
  5. Terry O

Blood Moon Edmonds, WA Lunar Eclipse 1-20-2019 9pm

Got a call from my son, who said he could see the 'Blood Moon' eclipse - so I rushed out with my Canon 5Diii, 500mm f4L and 2Xiii. Manual focus because of the dark moon and lack of contrast. about a 5 second exposure at f8 ISO 2000. Even manual focus was difficult.
  6. Terry O

Hooded Merganser

Just to prove I am still alive. I managed to get out last evening (Nov. 8) and get a few shots using my Canon 500 f4L + 2xiii extender. Second time out with it and since Bill mentioned the Merganser being at Spague Pond, I thought it would be a good test. This was late evening (well only...
  7. Terry O

Woodway Deer in Action

Yesterday evening our dog started barking in the house, having spotted a deer in our back area. Fortunately it did not eat up my Wife's vegetable garden :).
  8. Terry O

Started out as a Sunset Shot

While trying to set up for one of our now regular smoke-filtered sun shots, I though 'so what if some great bird comes and lands right in front of me?'.....the next thing I knew, this juvie Coopers Hawk landed on our arena fence just below me. (Canon 5diii, 400mm f4l 1/1250s f5.6 hand held) As...
  9. Terry O

Birds of Plain, Washington - Fourth of July 2018

This is a follow up to the previous Memorial Day photos, I posted a couple of weeks ago. A male Red-naped Sapsucker and a juvie were in one of their favorite trees. I managed a couple of shots of a Yellow Warbler on the banks of the Wenatachee And a couple of nesting Western Bluebirds
  10. Terry O

Where there's a will there's a way

After spending $40 for a wire screen to exclude gray squirrels from our bird feeder, a nursing mother Douglas Squirrel squeezed through. At least the Douglas is a native species - so I don't feel to badly about its success. I was concerned it might eat too many sunflower seeds and not be...
  11. Terry O

Birds of Plain Washington, Memorial Day Weekend 2018

My wife and I spent four days on the shores of the Wenatchee River near Plain, Washington (West of Leavenworth). Nothing too spectacular, but we did have lots of Evening Grosbeaks, a few Spotted Sandpipers, and a few White-headed Woodpeckers. Lighting was tough, to say the least - Sunshine is...
  12. Terry O

Everett Herons

I spent the morning near the Everett boat launch with a fellow photographer. Watching the herons is not only entertaining, but rewarding, photo wise. All were taken with a Canon 5D Mark III, and a 500mm f4L lens at 1/1250s f4 and Auto ISO
  13. Terry O

A few 'desert' birds shots from a recent trip to Palm Desert

Thanks to all of the water/golf courses, the Palm Desert/Palm Springs area is an oasis for birds. Here's a few of the better shots I took during the week of February 17th (my 81st) :) All shots taken with the Canon 5Diii and 400 mm f5.6L - mostly 1/1250s and low ISOs, thank to the light...
  14. Terry O

Point Edwards Eagles on March 2nd 2018

Thanks to a 'heads up' from Bill, I managed a couple of shots, using the Canon 5Diii and 400 mm f5.6L. I later set up the 500mm f4L but of course the eagles chose to just sit there :).. It always amazes me how much larger the female is. She certainly seems to be in charge! All shots...
  15. Terry O

Snow Geese on Fir Island

About a week ago, I ventured north to Fir Island on the Skagit Flats near Conway. My friend, Bob Stevens meet me there and we ventured forth. As luck would have it, we found the larges flock I have ever seen near the roadway. (Its worth clicking on the individual pictures for a closer...
  16. Terry O

9th Annual Chelan Ridge Hawk Migration Festival Pateros, Washington

The festival held on September 15 and 16, 2017 was sponsored by the USFS Chelan/Entiat Ranger District, HawkWatch International and the North Central Washington Audubon Society. This free family event combined activities in Pateros, WA and trips to the Chelan Ridge migration site to learn about...
  17. Terry O

Another Greeny, but perhaps part of a different and somewhat older batch

I took these this morning at about 10A since I was in the area. Looks to me like this guy is definitely a juvenile, but its is certainly a larger and more developed bird than what I saw yesterday. Let me know what you think.
  18. Terry O

Yet more 'Greenies' at Sprague Pond

I spent a couple of hours with Bill Anderson trying to get some shots of the green heron youngsters. I think we were seeing younger birds than the ones in the larger nesting tree. Lighting was tough! This was taken with the Canon 5Diii, 500mm f4L, and a Tamron 1.4x extender (700mm - full...
  19. Terry O

Real Head-Scratchers!

I kept hoping for either a fly-down or a good view of the nestling - but no luck! But at least the female (I think) did stand out in more or less plain sight. These were taken on Monday June 19 with the Canon 5D Mark iii and Canon 500mm f4L with a 1.4x Tamron extender. Although the extender...
  20. Terry O

Hummingbird Fun - Woodway, WA

My office window is very close to our hummingbird feeder - so I usually keep my Canon 5Diii and 400 5.6L at the ready. I'll start posting these as I get them My favorite local hummer is, of course, the Rufous although the Annas run a close second (not much choice since those two are...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back